American Airlines - I saw the best of times and now the worst of times, since they filed for backruptcy. Overall, it was a wonderful, life. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

"I saw the best of times and now the worst of times, since they filed for backruptcy. Overall, it was a wonderful, life."

Current Employee - International Purser Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - International Purser Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I traveled to parts of the world that I would have never seen had I not applied with American Airlines.
I learned tolerance regarding cultural differences.

Cons

Once 911 occured, everything in the airline industry changed for the worst. There is a lot of management manipulation. All the airlines have filed for Bancruptcy. My pay has been reduced by
50% since 2003.

Advice to Management

Treat your front line employees like gold. Stop taking money from us and lining your own pockets with large bonuses every year. It's very insulting to us, and creates poor moral.

Other Employee Reviews for American Airlines

"Working hard for many years..."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, great managers at the airport and in the headquarters office. Flexible time off, some office managers can work from home occasionally, lots of vacation after 15 years.

Cons

Paid a LOT less than other in similar positions, up to 25% less. Executive management is somewhat out of touch with the customer experience as well as the employee experience. Lot of angry airport employees. Respect your employees' time off. You work all the time.

Advice to Management

Put the employee satisfaction first and you will have happy customers and shareholders.

"Great part time job while in college"

Current Employee - Station Agent in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Station Agent in Houston, TX

I have been working at American Airlines part-time

Pros

Flexible Schedule,Travel Benefits,paid vacation for part timers & holidays. Quarterly bonuses come in handy for a lil extra pocket change. Started working here as a freshman,allowed me to visit family back home frequently for cheap,good entry into the airlines.

Cons

The Pay!!!!!! starting pay is $9.40/hr with a 6 month raise by the end of the year should be at $10.20/hr. Not enough considering that most stations work other airlines such as UNited,AIrtran,Jetblue just to name a few. You are expected to know each airlines rules and polices while receiving no added compensation for your knowledge. They use the term "cross-trained" which basically means the teach u all aspects of the operation...Ramp,Ticket,BMAs,Gate. Dont expect to get paid more if you are fully trained in all areas, as employees that only know ramp get paid the same. All in all its a good part-time job but not a career or full time.

Advice to Management

Increase pay,Get a new HR system as the current one is a JOKE!!!!! there is no way to voice concerns about management as the HR rep is most likely friends and will inform them that you called to complain even though its suppose to be anonymous!!!!!! Also we are suppose to portray the image of American Airlines but our uniforms look like McDonalds Janitors