American Apparel - Ever changing and always growing | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Apparel

"Ever changing and always growing"

Current Employee - Inventory Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Inventory Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at American Apparel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a great company to move up in. They always promote from within the company instead of hiring from outside of it. I've only been with the company 10 months and I've gone from being a stock associate to an inventory manager.

Cons

There's always some sort of a problem that the store is having from sales, to back stock, but it never lasts too long.

Advice to Management

I'd like to have more rules to follow. I feel that the guidelines set out from HO aren't followed fully and everyone does it differently. So I'd like to have more strict enforcement of policies and protocols.

Other Employee Reviews for American Apparel

1. "Hard Work Shows"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at American Apparel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best employee discount in retail industry
    Good Looking clothes, company has a good vision
    You meet great people, and can even make long-lasting friends
    If you do outstanding work, you will eventually get promoted. How long that takes depends on store and/or district.

Cons

Way underpaid for what management has to do.
    Poor HR relationship, if any.
    End up sending work emails off the clock from home
    Tasks get repetitive and meaningless after a while; all that time getting paid to do meager tasks can get depressing.
    Little Positive Reinforcement .
    It's just a job, don't expect to make a career out of this unless you somehow get whisked away by corporate.

Advice to Management

Reward staff when something is done right, show people respect and acknowledge dedication-- the good employees will stay!

"If someone had told me how bad it was to work here I wouldn't have even handed in a resume"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at American Apparel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-You work with people within your age group; makes for a laid back environment
    -You do get a 50% discount on all clothes and then 30% discount on "off-branded" items that they sell (Doctor Bronners, Bobble water bottles, Rosebud salve... etc.)
    -Seasonal allowance of around $180+ to spend on whatever clothes you want for Winter, Fall and Summer seasons
    -Everyone is pretty cool & hip. It's fun (at first) to tell people you work there; looks good on a retail resume
    -If you are employed full time you do get great medical benefits which is perfect for a young person in this economy.

Cons

-Since you are working with young, unqualified and unprofessional people things are horribly unorganized
    - Do not expect to get a raise or a promotion
    -There are only certain clothes you can get with your seasonal allowances
    -Management does NOT know what they are doing. Every day it seemed liked we had new rules and then they would turn around and contradict themselves and make another rules.. Seriously, nothing is organized
    -You have to wear all American Apparel clothing in the way that a "hipster" would wear them. So you can forget about your personal style all together.
    -You are SOLEY hired on your looks; they do not care about anything else... in fact, before they even agree to sit you down for an interview your picture is sent in for corporate to look at before they give the store manager the okay to hire you.
    -It is very rare (at least at my former store) that you make your way up to working as a Full Time employee. In fact, I was working full time hours but on paper I was part time. This is so they don't have to give you your benefits
    -Only managers, stock managers and Key Holders get full time.... honestly Key Holders do not do anything but have the privilege of ringing up customers and talking and gossiping behind the cash wrap without getting yelled at.
    -Working with people around your age group is fun but things did get catty and unprofessional on the floor. Also as a 24 year old straight out of college to be working with a bunch 16 and 17 year olds who don't even really need the job since they are living under their parents roofs can be insulting and highly annoying.
    -They decided to expand our already tiny store making our backstock so tiny you could hardly breathe and I mean that literally. We had to leave the backstock door open just to get some air in or else you would pass out. You could not have more than 4 people in our backstock; that is how small it was. It made for a completely uncomfortable work environment and I would feel so sorry for our backstock guys One boy even quit because he could not work under those conditions. Corporate knew this. They did not care.
    -A little while ago they implemented commission based sales goals. Well, the way they do it is unlike any form of commission you have ever heard of. Pretty much it was very hard to make commission especially in our tiny store where not a lot of people were coming in to begin with. I was the first person to make commission at our store and it was during busy holiday season-- the only tie I could have ever made it. I never made it again and no one else ever got it at our store after that.

Advice to Management

-There is a huge stigma that American Apparel caters to hipsters and the fact is that American Apparel does cary really amazing basics (socks, undergarments, sweatshirts, tights and stockings) that people outside of the "hipster" community come in to buy. By allowing everyone to dress in a certain way really turns people off from the store. I think that employees should wear American Apparel in the way that they would personally wear it which would open up the consumer demographic a little bit.
    -Listen to the problems that we are having as employees and actually do something about it instead of ignoring us.
    -The CEO of American Apparel is a joke. He is just an oversexed man with power-- what else is new.
    -You are running yourself into the ground with your poor organization skills- get it together.
    -If you don't fix this fast, the company is going down which I am sure everyone on this planet with a computer has read the rumors. Guess what? It's true. American Apparel will probably not be around much longer so my advice is to get out while you can before you are left unemployed without warning.