American Apparel - Worst company I have ever been a part of | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Apparel

"Worst company I have ever been a part of"

Current Employee - Store Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Store Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at American Apparel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

50% off discount
Flexible hours
Chill work environment
Good music in stores

Cons

Very poor job training with extremely low pay. Been there for over a year, I requested a salary and pay review and have yet to receive any HR response a month later. Complete disorganization from a managerial level with inconsistent information, false promises about pay rate and position. If you just want a simple short term sales job with a great 50% off discount (you are required to wear AA from head to toe) its not bad but do not attempt to enter their ridiculous visual merchandising or management.

Advice to Management

Set up a system for 6 month to a year for a scheduled salary review, review.managers more closely and offer pay incentive to merchandisers

Other Employee Reviews for American Apparel

"nice part-time job as a sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at American Apparel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing discount (50%), good quality basic clothes. Basically the only reason you should work here over other retail stores. The pants/jeans, nailpolish (lol) and cotton shirts are really top quality and you get them for an amazing price as an employee. There are also some employee specials/deals here and there if your store is selling well.

Good hours. They don't overwork you if you are a sales associate, as long as you are really specific about how much you want to work and when you want to work when you first get hired. Its a really good job if you're looking for small amount of hours and can only work certain days. They have so many sales associates that they hire, that they are really not desperate for your time. Its a great job for students. Also, if you're free and there's a need, you can always take on other people's shifts and make some extra $$$ from your usual hours.

I've had a great experience with my store managers. They are super friendly and accommodating.

Cons

You can pretty much only get a job here if you're can play up the part of a sexy hipster (or if you simply are one at heart)

Check if you're getting paid at the store with commission. Its MUCH harder to make a decent salary if you are on commission and you get stuck with a shitty shift. Even though commission seems like something you would benefit from, you only get lucky with big sales ever so often, and it evens out the very little money you make from when the store isn't busy.

Don't work at the bigger AA stores. You're just one of twenty-five/thirty associates and the environment sucks if you're a newbie. Its also very hard to get trained well at these bigger stores. You have to learn it all yourself in a very quick amount of time if you want to make the sales goal (of a little over $100 per hour) like all the other sales associates your competing with. Go for a smaller store in your area if you can. The environment, in my experience, is a lot more chill and

Advice to Management

Overall, my store managers have been very kind and accommodating with any time off I needed or if I needed help throughout my training period (and after that!). MOD's can be bitchy and have unnecessarily large egos. The creative people who design the store will look down on you if you're a sales associate- just saying.

2. "Nice Environment but Little Room for Growth"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at American Apparel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Chill co-workers and managers (which is rare)
    50% off discount for all clothing
    2 seasonal clothing allowances
    Little responsibility and workload except for competing with other SAs for personal Dollar per Hour sales quota

Cons

SAs and Cashiers steal sales
    Little room for growth, though it is very often that a SA gets promoted to a keyholder, but job functions remain similarly mundane