American Apparel - Backstock is the BEST! | Glassdoor

"Backstock is the BEST!"

Current Employee - Backstock Associate in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Backstock Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at American Apparel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee allowances, employee discount, work environment, staff, schedule flexibility.
(I applied specifically as back stock. I had experience as a sales associate before, but wanted a more chill environment)
All in all, I've really enjoyed working at AA. However, I have heard/read horror stories from other workers at separate locations. My specific location is very laid-back, and our manager really cares about her employees. The hours are extremely flexible, and I work almost full-time. I have fun working back stock! I know the sales associates/keyholders/managers don't love their job as much as people in the back. Back stock people don't have to worry about meeting goal, or pleasing customers, though. I'm very satisfied. The company has a bad reputation, but the majority of large companies do! (Just check out Urban Outfitters CEO)

Again, I'm very pleased with my job. I think I lucked out, though. The store is only ten minutes from my house, and the staff is filled with really sincerely kind people. When there aren't many customers, I can just listen to music and play on my iphone! Such a laid-back job. Our staff is very small (only 10 people), so we're like a family.

WARNING: the location and co-workers make a HUGE difference on your outlook of working at AA.

Cons

Dov :(
Must wear head to toe American Apparel attire. (Which is okay, because the company gave all the workers in our store free shoes)

Advice to Management

Hire people who are QUALIFIED, rather than just hiring people with mediocre resumes but good-looks.

Other Employee Reviews for American Apparel

1. "Hard to move up, very little pay, good discount"

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser

I have been working at American Apparel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount, and lots of free clothes. As a merchandiser I have little direction and am allowed a lot of creativity. Fun people to work with and cool clothes.

Cons

Only got a .50 raise in one year. Company doesn't provide vacation or sick time, even after years of working there. No room to grow unless you want to to move to CA.

2. "Manufacturers of sustainable goods with liberal moral values, socially progressive"

Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Apparel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good ethics. Sweatshop Free clothes.

Cons

Don't pay to industry standards, particularly upper management.

Advice to Management

Pay employees a living wage based on location. Why is a manager living in Omaha (where rent is presumably inexpensive) getting paid the same as a manager in NYC (where rent is expensive)? NYC makes up most of the company's profits and its employees should be compensated as such.