American Apparel - Unorganized, superficial and unprofessional... but amazing discount! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Apparel

"Unorganized, superficial and unprofessional... but amazing discount!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Palm Beach, FL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at American Apparel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Let me preface by saying how amazing AA's discount is. That was honestly the staple keeping me there. I couldn't imagine life without that discount... and my location started us off at $9/hr, and it wasn't difficult to receive a raise. The hours were very flexible and as long as you kept the store neat and clean, greeted customers at the door and flipped over those stupid nail polishes every night, you were golden.

Cons

Oh God, where do I begin... First off, the hiring process (as most of you already know by now) is probably the closest thing to illegal there is, unless it is illegal which it could be. It's extremely hard to get a job at AA without knowing someone who works there. We got random walk-in applicants all the time, and I would say we actually interviewed about 1 out of 50 of those applicants. If you're oh-so lucky enough to know someone that works at AA, you pretty much got the job. As long as you look the part and haven't stolen from the store before, you're good. They will go ahead and take a picture of you-- a head shot and a full body shot. They send it to corporate to be approved, and that determines whether you get hired or not. It's stupid. Another pretty shitty thing about this company is that they are TOO gracious with promotions, etc. At one point, an 18 year old was the district merchandiser for half of Florida, and that is just ridiculous. There are no real standards, and anyone could go and become manager if they REALLY wanted to. Everything was always so unorganized, and so much stupid petty drama. It honestly made me hate the company and everything it stood for... except the discount. All in all, it's good for the money and discount. That's about it. No matter how much you thought you loved AA, you will hate it after working there.

Advice to Management

Seriously, stop giving such young people high positions in the company. That's why you are in so much debt, that's why there's internal theft, and that's why friendships>professional life at your stores. Extremely unprofessional work setting. Start hiring uglier people who know what the hell they're doing instead of decent looking hipsters who can't even think for themselves.

Other Employee Reviews for American Apparel

1. "It's pretty awesome and chill."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Apparel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

clothing allowance
    Fun and upbeat vibe
    listen to dope music

Cons

hours may vary
    hard to get full time

Advice to Management

Communicate to employees

2. "Superficial in Hiring Process"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at American Apparel part-time

Pros

Great discount on apparel, people are generally nice and fun not a terrible work environment

Cons

I've seen them judge people immediately when in the hiring process - the more attractive people are on the floor and less attractive, generally heavier employees go in the backstock. I understand that they need people to sell the clothes in the way that models too, but it is disheartening in 2013 to still face these discriminations