American Axle & Manufacturing - Great place to work, but you have to work hard! | Glassdoor

"Great place to work, but you have to work hard!"

Product Engineer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at American Axle & Manufacturing

Pros

Excellent 401k, decent medical/dental, somewhat competitive salary, tuition reimbursement. Training/continued education is encouraged. Hands-on engineering is encouraged.

Cons

Long hours are sometimes encouraged, if not expected. During tough economic times like these in the US, engineers are asked to take on more work and work longer hours. The free fitness center just closed.

Advice to Management

There should be more focus from HR and Senior Management on retaining their best engineers. Don't let their salaries fall behind what other companies are offering. More importantly, don't let their salaries fall behind what you are offering new hires with the same or less experience. It is hard to find good driveline engineers and even harder to train those without driveline experience. Please maintain the... current 401k matching. It is our only hope of affording retirement and health care.

American Axle & Manufacturing2008-10-06
  1. "College Co-op"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Three Rivers, MI

I worked at American Axle & Manufacturing full-time

Pros

Great place to work and good pay for a full time student working 20-25 hours a week. Gained excellent knowledge that I use in my current role. My management was awesome and always understood that school comes first.

Cons

Not much opportunity for college co-ops to stay after college. This should really be a feeder and development program to hire after college.

Advice to Management

Hire your college co-ops, much less training required when they transition to full time jobs due to them being there for 1-2 years.

American Axle & Manufacturing2019-12-07
  2. "Great Experience"

Former Contractor - Control Systems Engineer Co-op

I worked at American Axle & Manufacturing

Pros

Great experience for students if given opportunity. I was able to learn a lot of things about the controls engineering position.

Cons

Needs more company diversity. No Proper training for interns

American Axle & Manufacturing2019-11-26

Discover more reviews about American Axle & Manufacturing.