American Cancer Society - Low pressure environment with average pay | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

"Low pressure environment with average pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

* Lots of paid time off, in the 1st year I started I got 25 paid days off and you get more paid days off for each year you work there.
* Low pressure environment makes it ideal for those needing a work/home balance, I honestly work 30-50 hours a week and I have never worked more than 60 hours in a week
* Brand recognition, looks great on your resume
* You get recognition for good work and likewise to be fair, the dead weight are dealt with pretty quickly
* Generous benefit package you get life insurance, 403(b) plan which matches contributions up to 4%, commuter benefit discounts, vacation/travel discounts. I got really cheap auto insurance thanks to ACS

Cons

* The pay is average and you don't get bonuses but in my opinion it's only fair because the work is not high pressure
* Revolving door system, lots of people come and go, for each year I have been working at ACS there has been a major layoff round every winter, the joke is that we have annual layoffs although the higher ups use euphemisms like "restructuring", "transformation", etc... Not to mention I have been with ACS for 4 years and I have gone through 5 managers and am on my 6th manager. Lord only knows how long my manager is going to last.

Advice to Management

None - I am happy with my work experience at American Cancer Society. When I first started working at ACS it was pretty chaotic but it's for the better in that the dead weight are getting dealt with and now the good performers get recognition.

Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society

"If it were not for the benefits and amazing mission, I would have quit a long time ago!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Amazing PTO, Great work life balance for some. Great staff committed to an amazing mission.

Cons

Overly bureaucratic, Very political & slow moving and hugely wasteful of donor dollars. 13 CEOs but org continues to cut frontline staff.

Advice to Management

REDUCE the number of divisions (CEOs and all other duplicate positions) ASAP! Get our of your ivory tower and meet with your staff. Eliminate the RED TAPE and embrace innovation.

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

Pros

Proud to know that I am making a difference in getting others involved in the fight against cancer.

Cons

Lack of leadership and direction. Poor management. Lack of recruiting volunteers.

Advice to Management

Hire capable managers.. Pay more for qualified managers to get better results.
    Highly advise that all staff, including TEMP Positions and Outreach fill out an anonymous report of managment.