American Cancer Society - Blown away at the lack of work ethic & business sense and the disorganization | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

"Blown away at the lack of work ethic & business sense and the disorganization"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Hartford, CT
Former Employee - Senior Director in Hartford, CT

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission is great. The events are great.

Cons

Completely disorganized. Waste of donor money on salaries for managers who do nothing. Very unintelligent people managing. Nobody listens to challenges or makes any changes that would benefit the society.

I have worked in this industry for a long time and when my aunt was diagnosed with cancer I took a job with ACS. In my eyes, ACS was a very reputable society - it was the American Cancer Society, for goodness sake!
Not so much. I was blown away by the lack of professionalism, intelligence and business sense of ANY management. I realize that in non-profit, "businessmen", are not always present, but I had never seen anything like this before. Special Event teams are tasked with managing committees who are supposed to do ALL of the work associated with an event - which is very unrealistic to begin with but it does not help that the managers prior to me had ruined every good relaitonship wiht donors and committee members. They felt unappreciated and unguided. That was hard for me to understand at first but after a few months on the job I knew what they meant - and it was not just my office. I met and spoke with employees from several offices across the country where the same problems existed - Regional Vice Presidents sat pretty and did no work whatsoever. Business Units and managers were so unmotivated that some times you woul dnot get a response to an email for over 3 weeks. When you asked why certain things were done the way they were when there were more effecient ways of doing them you were told "thats how we do it".
I remained with ACS because I realized I coudl add a lot of value to a messy situation. Plus, I was waiting for this big "great" change that was going to happen. I waited and waited and waited - finally realizing that the people in charge were either not intelligent enough or simply did not care enough to make valuable changes. All they did was downsize and move mangers with no work ethic or intelligence into the smae position but called it something else. I was, in fact, offered a "new" position but declined. I could never live with myself if I remained with an organization so unfocused on what should be done. I do hope positive changes occur but, until then, I recomend anybody thinking of applying with ACS to think twice. Anybody supporting ACS financially should also reconsider. While a lot of your money goes to some good, a lot of it also goes to pay the salaries of peopel who do not work and , in some cases, are not even capable of understanding common business practices. A lot of these managers do not show up for work for days at a time - wouldn't you rahter know your money is going somewhere that people actually work?

Advice to Management

You are going through Transformation - use this as a chance to do something great for the organization. Rather than moving managers who do nothing around, get rid of them and hire external candidates who actually have some business sense!

Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society

1. "PFS Coordinator"

Former Employee - PFS Coordinator in Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Former Employee - PFS Coordinator in Cedar Knolls, NJ

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work! You have the opportunity to help the community and provide services that really make a difference in those suffering and recoveing from cancer.

Cons

Mandatory cold calling and solicitation.

Advice to Management

Make sure to advise potential employees of the sales and marketing aspect of the job.

2. "great people, friendly supervisors."

Current Employee - Specialist in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very nice people, great mission, coworkers and supervisors are supportive. Also good company benefits. Office location is close to public transportation and nice restaurants.

Cons

Company is undergoing major transformation, there's a lot of uncertainly among staffs. Not much work life balance, most ppl feel that they are overworked and underappreciated.

Advice to Management

if there's a communication plan about transformation, please communicate with staffs.