American Cancer Society - A decent place for young employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

"A decent place for young employees"

Former Employee - Income Development Specialist in Williamsport, PA
Former Employee - Income Development Specialist in Williamsport, PA

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, working with passionate volunteers, feels like you are making a difference.

Cons

This is an entry level job and you'll have to earn your keep. Expect long hours, extensive travel, and little pay. If you're motivated by the cause, that will keep you going, otherwise you'll quickly recognize you can make twice the money for half the work elsewhere.

Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society

1. "Learned a lot, and the volunteers drive you to work hard each and every day"

Former Employee - Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Specialist in Detroit, MI

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work with some amazing people- the volunteers are awesome and you definitely learn a lot. Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others.

Cons

The organization is becoming typical corporate America, and staff are not valued like they used to be. Management tends to be unprofessional. The idea of doing more with less creates major burn out.

Advice to Management

Stay honest & work on professionalism. Remember to treat others as you would like to be treated.

"I worked for the American Cancer Society for more than 15 years"

Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Field staff, volunteers, the ability to ease the burden of people who are, more than likely, facing some of the biggest challenges in their lives.

Cons

National Management, Division management, poor choices for Division leadership positions during transformation. Very political.

Advice to Management

Please don't speak to your staff like they are children. You have already lost a large percentage of your "seasoned and experienced" staff members. In order to cut costs, you also cut your nose off to spite your face. I have moved on from ACS after giving over 15 years of my heart and soul to the mission--my only regret is that our patients and communities are going to pay the price for your decisions.