American Cancer Society - I am proud to work for such a fantastic, mission driven organization. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

"I am proud to work for such a fantastic, mission driven organization."

Current Employee - Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The leadership is brilliant and dedicated to the mission. This is an organization that is goal driven, ready to make tough decisions, and will achieve its mission. The volunteers and staff are so dedicated an inspiring that coming to work every day is a joy. Great PTO and benefits. This is not a non-profit environment where you have to fight to the death for a set of post-it notes; you have the resources to do your job. Pay is competitive.

Cons

It can be hard to move up in the organization, but they are working on that since they have restructured. Also working to make sure that there are no silos, and that we are working as a team.

Advice to Management

Work to train and elevate your current staff through a talent pipeline, or other leadership training opportunities.

Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society

"Management has a different understanding of the mission"

Current Employee - PNS Representative in Marion, IL
    Current Employee - PNS Representative in Marion, IL

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits!!
    Very good pay
    Love helping people fight their battle
    Super co-workers - we truly were an extended family.

Cons

Micro-managing, Sometimes goals are unattainable, "Transformation" is a disaster

Advice to Management

I dare say that ZERO percent of upper level management has field experience. Try putting some people in management that have actually had their "boots on the ground" in the past couple of years. I think all the changes that have been made will quickly be re-visited within a year as you begin to lose volunteers and donors in serious numbers. And if you choose not to re-visit these poor decisions and do lose volunteers and donors at the rate you have let employees go, ACS will become obsolete within a couple of years.

"Extremely rewarding internship experience during grad school"

Current Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Current Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Cancer Society as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

cohesive and friendly team, laid-back atmosphere, generous amount of paid time off for employees, goal oriented internship with a focus on coming out of it with concrete deliverables as evidence of my growth. also great networking across the whole agency.

Cons

sometimes there was a disconnect between the corporate headquarters staff and division staff, but the organization is going through transformation so hopefully this will be less of an issue in the future. also, the internship was unpaid.

Advice to Management

formalize an intern program, there is a lot of potential it could have both for the organization and also for graduate students. There would be high demand for