American Cancer Society - A good company to start out with, but not for the long term. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

"A good company to start out with, but not for the long term."

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission of the organization is great and many of the volunteers I work with are wonderful and inspiring. ACS provides good benefits and PTO as well.

Cons

Transformation was downplayed from the beginning and many employees were uncertain whether they would have a job or not for a very long time. It also created awkward situations in the office when employees were let go.

The job has very long hours for what we are paid, and whether or not you have a flexible schedule depends on who your manager is. There are very few opportunities for advancement, so many employees are stuck in field positions. For the employees in field positions, there are very high expectations and many times we do not have the resources we need to reach our goals, or we get the resources too late.

Advice to Management

The most successful managers I have worked with have been in field positions and have worked their way up. When managers are hired from outside the organization, often times they don't fully understand what the field staff job is really about.

Also, when employees work such long hours with evenings and weekends, they should be able to have a flexible schedule and not be required to be in the office 9-5 every day as well.

Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society

"Not at all what I expected"

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Volunteers, PTO(but you can never take the time off)

Cons

No work/life balance(just because they will not hire enough staff, so everyone is overworked) no support from upper management, an overabundance of conference calls that go nowhere and inadequate training-it is as if you are set up for failure. I now know why there is such a high turnover rate in my position.

Advice to Management

Hire more employees and reconstruct the duties of the field staff that is respectful to their lives and sanity! No wonder you cannot keep anyone in these positions.

2. "Always busy"

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Life/work balance
    Always busy, never boring
    Great people to work with
    Great mission
    Allow to work from home

Cons

We are currently going through a change and that takes time. Lots of unknowns.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent