American Cancer Society - Loved the mission, politics much to prevalent to stay on track. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

"Loved the mission, politics much to prevalent to stay on track."

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best reason to work with the American Cancer Society is the volunteers. Enabling people to make a difference in the fight against cancer is incredible. It also served my own need to be a part of the solution.

Cons

Too many ladder climbers and politics in this organization. It is natural to want to further your own career, but when it comes at a cost to others and the organization, there needs to be some changes in the way things are done.. The culture is one of micromanagement in many cases and big egos that get in the way of the mission.

Advice to Management

Stay in touch with the real reason this organization exists.

Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society

"My tenure at ACS was fulfilling due to the mission of the organization, the dedicated volunteers, and hard working staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary, benefits, professional development, career advancement, paid time off

Cons

HQ & senior leadership out of touch with reality in the field. Micro-management. Departmental silos. Lack of "all for one and one for all" attitude amongst departments.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff AND act upon their recommendations. Transformation should have taken a footnote from the highest per capita division in the nation, instead of taking "change" in the opposite direction.

2. "Great experience and wonderful people!"

Former Contractor - Special Events Manager in Culver City, CA
    Former Contractor - Special Events Manager in Culver City, CA

I worked at American Cancer Society as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the Special Events Department putting on large scale fundraising events in the Los Angeles area. I loved my work, the people were amazing and supportive, and my job provided me the opportunity to interface with many types of people. I was happy to go to work every day.

Cons

I had a contract job and there was no full time position when it was over. I had really hoped I would have been able to continue working there.