American Cancer Society - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Fantastic cause, an organizationt that truly does a lot of good for a lot of people. Great benefits including time off package and pension plan.

Cons

Senior leadershup can be micro-managing at times.

Advice to Management

You hire great people - trust them.

Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society

1. "Wake up feeling as if I work for an organization making a difference."

Current Employee - Senior Representative
    Current Employee - Senior Representative

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excited about the shift in culture. Embracing CRM and consultative sales techniques. Passionate people and volunteers building lasting relationships. Flexible schedule, great for working parents.

Cons

With any organization in transistion, attitudes and advancement based upon cultural shift and not prior accountabilites are yet to be seen.

Advice to Management

Personal development and skill set growth go a long way in employee morale even in the absence of career advancement.

2. "Great cause, great benefits, many changes."

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I appreciate that the ACS provides opportunities for upward mobility. There are numerous opportunities to move up in the company, and many of them do not require relocation or residence in a major city. I also appreciate their generous personal leave policies. This allows for a great work/life balance. The benefits package is also excellent. We are also provided with a great deal of training and support by our management which is nice. The mission is fantastic and it feels good to work for a company that advocates for health and wellness.

Cons

Cancer is a serious and often depressing topic. Working in this topic day after day can sometimes weigh a person down. There is not a great deal of support for this stress. In addition, our jobs often cycle with the economy. In a downturn, it is difficult to raise money and get good quality volunteers. This affects every area of the organization. The restructuring was very beneficial in many ways. However, it produced an environment of constant change that can sometimes distract from the mission and job descriptions that we originally applied for.

Advice to Management

I am very happy with the time-off policies and benefits. Thank you for your generosity in this area! While change can be a really good thing, at times the constant change can be exhausting. I sometimes feel as though the majority of my time is spent learning a new system or policy instead of focusing on my job. I look forward to the day when we can all settle back into our positions and get down to the business of saving lives!