American Cancer Society - Great mission - Overpaid Management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

"Great mission - Overpaid Management"

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

I loved working for a great mission and feeling like I was contributing to the well being of my friends and family.

Cons

While the benefits package was adequate, in my experience management was male dominated and overpaid, while underpaying programmatic staff.

Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society

1. "It's what you make of your opportunity."

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

15+ years with the organization and I'm still finding challenging and rewarding opportunities. Your time at the American Cancer Society is what you make of it. If you're a negative person and only see the negatives then you're going to have a rough go of it here - or anywhere for that matter. Compensation is on par with other national nonprofits, benefits are excellent and the PTO policy and 403(b) plan are very generous. The best reward is the work you do saves lives.

Cons

Expectations can be unreasonable at times... you can't have it 'yesterday' and you'll need to give me some time to provide you with what you need. Last minute requests for information or materials for a meeting/project that's been on your calendar for months is annoying and unprofessional.

"Rewarding, but draining."

Former Employee - Event Coordinator
    Former Employee - Event Coordinator

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working for such a good cause - who doesn't want to work towards finding a cure for cancer? The office was full of wonderful people who have a drive to make the world a better place. ACS volunteers are also incredible, passionate people. Truly the best part of the job is the people you work with.

Cons

Long days and evenings, weekends, etc. Management fluctuated during my time there often, and the management styles varied GREATLY. In the last six months of my time at ACS, my team was micromanaged, but our manager was not a leader - it just felt like he was going through the motions and making sure we made our numbers. There wasn't a lot of support there. Office morale can be low during slow times, and you DO experience some sad stories and during my time with ACS, a few volunteers I worked with passed away, which can bring you down a bit.

Advice to Management

Be leaders rather than managers - there is so much potential to grow teams and events, but sometimes employees need nurturing rather than just being pestered to get numbers up.