American Cancer Society - Ups and downs | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

"Ups and downs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great mission, rewarding to do meaningful work. Great benefits and vacation. Passionate volunteers. Training opportunities are available.

Cons

It will probably be a few years before the whole organization gets back on track. Work/life balance is bad for most people at the HQ office, but some seem to be doing very little. Executives are out of touch with manager and director level staff. Low morale, fear of layoffs is constant. Progressive employee health and wellbeing programs are needed to improve health, productivity, and morale.

Advice to Management

Take a look at these reviews and take immediate action. Set an example for other organizations by creating a culture that serves employees well while increasing productivity.

Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society

"Job seekers beware!"

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission, patients and the volunteers.

Cons

Transformation has destroyed employee moral.

"Wonderful mission, overall fulfilling work, but flaws in organizational structure."

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Wonderful mission, great opportunities to interact and work with inspiring & dedicated community organizations and volunteers. Generally flexible workplace (which varies by office). In my time here, I have learned a lot: developed important skills such as public speaking, time management, creative problem-solving, and how to work effectively on teams. I have also felt that I've made a positive impact on the lives of people with whom I've worked. I have also developed close relationships with colleagues on my team.

Cons

I have found the overall leadership at the ACS to be superficial and at times patronizing. I have often felt that expectations are unreasonable. It can be difficult to take your goals seriously, as they seem to change frequently (i.e. within the fiscal year). There are also fundamental issues in the structure of both our income and mission activities that ultimately lead to staff taking on tasks that aren't within the priorities of their position. This can waste staff time and I have seen it lead to confusion and sometimes bitterness on the part of staff.

Advice to Management

Improved, genuine communication is needed. The highest level of management, as mentioned, can come off as superficial and patronizing. Mid-level management could benefit from better direction from higher management so that they can give clear direction to their staff (which they are not, in the wake of organizational restructuring, executing very well at this point).