American Cancer Society - it was a great experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

"it was a great experience"

Pros

fun environment, met great friends, very rewarding

Cons

fast-paced, can be stressful, can be depressing at times

Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society

"Too Many Chiefs, Not Enough Indians"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits: Health Insurance and PTO Rocks! In the right office flexible work hours. Abel to work through lunch for appointments etc.

Cons

Management isn't involved at all. I see my manager maybe 1x a month and only receive emails for hand slaps and PTO.
    Transformation has finally completed and good Admins were cut due to it. One office didn't hire the only AA who was applying for her own position! Another office with over 20 RFLs and 3 Gala's cut their AA's from 2 to 1. I'm not sure how she will handle it all! Low pay for expected work. I was there for nearly 2 years and did not get a raise. I did receive lots of "Thank You" gifts from Managers and Co-workers so I know it wasn't based on my performance.

The moral of the story is there are too many manageres and not enough actual staff to make the local field office run smoothly.

Advice to Management

Take value in your employees out in the trenches, the field offices they are the back bone of your organization. They are the ones bringing in donors, volunteers and working uncompensated hours to make your organization the success that it is.

"Overworked and underpaid"

Former Employee - Community Representative
    Former Employee - Community Representative

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The organization has a great mission, and the volunteers in the communities are a joy to work with.

Cons

Company has no loyalty for their employees. Performance reviews are all numbers based and not on effort, regardless of economy or weather events. Promotions are given based on who you know in the company and not your hard work. No recognition or appreciation for staff.