American Cancer Society - For Those Whose Want Their Job to be Their Entire Life | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

"For Those Whose Want Their Job to be Their Entire Life"

Pros

Meeting the amazing volunteers/survivors whose lives have been touched by cancer

Cons

*Working long and grueling hours, nights and occasionally all weekend, for next to no pay
*Seeing donations go to frivolous party favors, expensive lunches and dinners, and self promotion
*Watching helplessly as termination of important programs hurts people who have depended on us for these services and are now left to fend for themselves

Advice to Management

GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are supposed to be helping others.

Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society

"Too Many Chiefs, Not Enough Indians"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits: Health Insurance and PTO Rocks! In the right office flexible work hours. Abel to work through lunch for appointments etc.

Cons

Management isn't involved at all. I see my manager maybe 1x a month and only receive emails for hand slaps and PTO.
    Transformation has finally completed and good Admins were cut due to it. One office didn't hire the only AA who was applying for her own position! Another office with over 20 RFLs and 3 Gala's cut their AA's from 2 to 1. I'm not sure how she will handle it all! Low pay for expected work. I was there for nearly 2 years and did not get a raise. I did receive lots of "Thank You" gifts from Managers and Co-workers so I know it wasn't based on my performance.

The moral of the story is there are too many manageres and not enough actual staff to make the local field office run smoothly.

Advice to Management

Take value in your employees out in the trenches, the field offices they are the back bone of your organization. They are the ones bringing in donors, volunteers and working uncompensated hours to make your organization the success that it is.

"Wonderful mission, senior management not so great"

Pros

Mission driven, volunteer supported.

Cons

Senior management is only concerned about money. don't connect mission to dollars raised. completely disconnected from constituent base.

Advice to Management

Show up to events and get to know participants. Make it a top priority to meet survivors and THANK THEM for supporting ACS.