American Cruise Lines - Management just doesn't seem to get it. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Cruise Lines

"Management just doesn't seem to get it."

Pros

Quality product, good fellow employees

Cons

Less than average salaries, way less.
Anemic benefits
No HR department/representative
Takes the "at will" employee clause to the extreme;
Management by fear
Owner/President basically calls all the shots

Advice to Management

Get an HR manager in place, review compensation and benefits.
Restructure Sales compensation and process to retain reps.
Start treating employees like adults
Engender some "cheer"

Apr 17, 2015 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for your comments. We value the feedback of both current and former employees and use this information to better our operating procedures.

We regret that you do not seem to enjoy your... More

Other Employee Reviews for American Cruise Lines

"One girl’s views…"

Current Employee - Hospitality Training Instructor in Guilford, CT
    Current Employee - Hospitality Training Instructor in Guilford, CT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company employees are very helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly. The atmosphere in both the training center and the home office is light but professional. There is a clear chain of command within this company, however they also employ an open door policy as well which I find nice being an 8 year Navy veteran. The company as a whole puts out a great product which is why there are so many repeat customers. The staff on-board the ships are very helpful and customer service friendly. While on-board ship I got to personally interact with both the crew members as well as the guests and found that the guests were extremely pleased with their experience with this cruise line due to the staff and personalized experience that they receive. It is nice to be able to visit the ships and “check-up” on your work once and awhile so that you can see what you may need to adjust as a trainer. I personally found this extremely helpful as I have only been on-board with this company a little over a month now. The company offers great opportunities for the younger generation coming in looking for temporary positions. While they will work hard, it helps to instill an excellent working ethic, sense of responsibility, and people skills, while also offering them great travel and monetary opportunities. They can then take what they learned with this company and apply that out in the workforce. Many of our stewards and deckhands are looking to work for larger cruise lines and American Cruise Lines is able to give them that experience and help build their resume which will enable them to apply for and be hired into those positions. I love the fact that owner himself is very invested and active within his company. The fact that he has made it a family business by employing his sons as well says a lot about the company, its values, and how it is run.

Cons

The cons I have found with this position are the fact that the working hours are not your typical 9am to 5 pm. Training requires preparation and classroom hours which tend to be long days. You have to be very flexible with this company, but I knew this coming into this position so it’s not as if it was a shock. Many positions in the hospitality industry keep odd hours and/or require flexibility.

Advice to Management

Stay abreast of current trends and continue to be adaptable, this is how to remain the leader in the small ship cruising industry. Keep up the good work!

Apr 17, 2015 – Director of Marketing

We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience working with American Cruise Lines. We are glad to know you enjoy your job and find opportunities are always available for those looking to... More

"Great company, work with great people!"

Current Employee - Hospitality Instructor in Guilford, CT
    Current Employee - Hospitality Instructor in Guilford, CT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have currently been with American Cruise Lines for almost 1 ½ years and have enjoyed my experience thoroughly. I came onboard with ACL in a newly created position as the Hospitality Instructor. This position was created to ensure consistency in training among the shipboard temporary employees (stewards, deckhands and galley stewards) by training them at our new shore side training center in Guilford, CT. The training program covers aspects to include but not limited to: Safety, Food Service, Housekeeping and Customer Service. Consistent training among the shipboard crew helps build confidence, reinforce our teamwork mentality and ensures a perfect cruise experience for all of our guests. I developed the initial training program and it has continued to evolve and improve based on input from all areas of the business to better prepare our crew members as well as meet and exceed our guest expectations.

Everyone that I work with is dedicated to the continued success of ACL. Our team has open lines of communication and is constantly looking for ways to improve an already great product. Everyone’s ideas and opinions are respected and we are given significant latitude to develop and implement new training elements and material. I am in constant communication with the Shipboard Managers, Hotel Directors and upper management for suggestions and input on how to continually improve the training program. We have recently introduced our Management training program and are recruiting exceptional candidates to work onboard our vessels.

I plan on making a career here with ACL and will do my part to ensure its continued success. This company may not be for everyone but it’s a perfect fit for me. If you are self-motivated, hardworking, and flexible you will thrive at ACL. My 10 years of military experience has enabled me to deal with change and given me the ability to succeed in such a dynamic work environment. If you’re looking to punch a timecard this isn’t the place for you. My team members and I work hard and support each other to get the job done. We keep a positive attitude and work towards a common goal.

I hope this post helps shed some light on this organization and the opportunities it presents.

Safety is our number 1 priority, and our guests always come first.

Cons

Training days can tend to be long, but we keep it fun and engaging.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to look for ways to grow the business and stay open to new ideas.

Apr 17, 2015 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working at American Cruise Lines. Your detailed and in-depth comments are greatly appreciated as it will help potential applicants know what to... More