American Cruise Lines - Rewarding Summer Job | Glassdoor

"Rewarding Summer Job"

Former Employee - Deckhand in Guilford, CT
Former Employee - Deckhand in Guilford, CT

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I thought this was a great company to work for. You meet a lot of incredible people, see a lot of unique places, and learn a lot of useful things for a career.

-Everyday is something different. Deckhands get to steer the ship, help with mechanics in the engine room, general security, and keep the ship running. You learn a tremendous amount about mechanics and the hospitality industry.
-Everyone travels to different places. I traveled the whole East Coast beginning in Florida and ending in Maine.
-There is some upward mobility. If you do good as a deckhand, the company will consider you for an officers position or transition you to the office.
-Everyone on-board is great. The employees are a definite team and help one another out and the customers are all fascinating.
-You have no expenses at all - food and rent is free, so you save a ton of money.

Cons

Long hours. It's not really a bad thing, but if you don't go in expecting to work it will take you by surprise. If you don't want to work hard or if you enjoy complaining, you need not apply.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You are bringing a neat product to the USA.

Apr 14, 2015 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for your feedback. We value the opinions of both former and current employees and use this information to better our organization. We are happy you enjoyed your experience working with ... More

Other Employee Reviews for American Cruise Lines

"ACL is a unique job experience for you to earn money, see the country, make lifelong friends..If you work hard!"

Former Employee - Steward in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Steward in New Orleans, LA

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Money!!! Seeing Interesting places around the country for free. Appreciative passengers. Meeting lifelong friends. Living & eating for free. New & exciting lifestyle. Many job opportunities available after you finish.

Cons

Long days. Little Rest. This will be the hardest you work in a very short period of time. This is not the place to complain. You are here for a very unique experience that can bring you lots of opportunity, especially when you are young...if you are willing to work work work!!!!

Apr 14, 2015 – Director of Marketing

We appreciate your taking the time to submit your review. Working aboard a cruise ship is not an easy job and we are very honest about the long hours and challenging work that awaits anyone applying ... More

"Great company, work with great people!"

Current Employee - Hospitality Instructor in Guilford, CT
    Current Employee - Hospitality Instructor in Guilford, CT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have currently been with American Cruise Lines for almost 1 ½ years and have enjoyed my experience thoroughly. I came onboard with ACL in a newly created position as the Hospitality Instructor. This position was created to ensure consistency in training among the shipboard temporary employees (stewards, deckhands and galley stewards) by training them at our new shore side training center in Guilford, CT. The training program covers aspects to include but not limited to: Safety, Food Service, Housekeeping and Customer Service. Consistent training among the shipboard crew helps build confidence, reinforce our teamwork mentality and ensures a perfect cruise experience for all of our guests. I developed the initial training program and it has continued to evolve and improve based on input from all areas of the business to better prepare our crew members as well as meet and exceed our guest expectations.

Everyone that I work with is dedicated to the continued success of ACL. Our team has open lines of communication and is constantly looking for ways to improve an already great product. Everyone’s ideas and opinions are respected and we are given significant latitude to develop and implement new training elements and material. I am in constant communication with the Shipboard Managers, Hotel Directors and upper management for suggestions and input on how to continually improve the training program. We have recently introduced our Management training program and are recruiting exceptional candidates to work onboard our vessels.

I plan on making a career here with ACL and will do my part to ensure its continued success. This company may not be for everyone but it’s a perfect fit for me. If you are self-motivated, hardworking, and flexible you will thrive at ACL. My 10 years of military experience has enabled me to deal with change and given me the ability to succeed in such a dynamic work environment. If you’re looking to punch a timecard this isn’t the place for you. My team members and I work hard and support each other to get the job done. We keep a positive attitude and work towards a common goal.

I hope this post helps shed some light on this organization and the opportunities it presents.

Safety is our number 1 priority, and our guests always come first.

Cons

Training days can tend to be long, but we keep it fun and engaging.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to look for ways to grow the business and stay open to new ideas.

Apr 17, 2015 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working at American Cruise Lines. Your detailed and in-depth comments are greatly appreciated as it will help potential applicants know what to ... More