American Cruise Lines - Rewarding Summer Job | Glassdoor

"Rewarding Summer Job"

Former Employee - Deckhand in Guilford, CT
Former Employee - Deckhand in Guilford, CT

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I thought this was a great company to work for. You meet a lot of incredible people, see a lot of unique places, and learn a lot of useful things for a career.

-Everyday is something different. Deckhands get to steer the ship, help with mechanics in the engine room, general security, and keep the ship running. You learn a tremendous amount about mechanics and the hospitality industry.
-Everyone travels to different places. I traveled the whole East Coast beginning in Florida and ending in Maine.
-There is some upward mobility. If you do good as a deckhand, the company will consider you for an officers position or transition you to the office.
-Everyone on-board is great. The employees are a definite team and help one another out and the customers are all fascinating.
-You have no expenses at all - food and rent is free, so you save a ton of money.

Cons

Long hours. It's not really a bad thing, but if you don't go in expecting to work it will take you by surprise. If you don't want to work hard or if you enjoy complaining, you need not apply.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You are bringing a neat product to the USA.

Apr 14, 2015 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for your feedback. We value the opinions of both former and current employees and use this information to better our organization. We are happy you enjoyed your experience working with... More

Other Employee Reviews for American Cruise Lines

"ACL is a unique job experience for you to earn money, see the country, make lifelong friends..If you work hard!"

Former Employee - Steward in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Steward in New Orleans, LA

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Money!!! Seeing Interesting places around the country for free. Appreciative passengers. Meeting lifelong friends. Living & eating for free. New & exciting lifestyle. Many job opportunities available after you finish.

Cons

Long days. Little Rest. This will be the hardest you work in a very short period of time. This is not the place to complain. You are here for a very unique experience that can bring you lots of opportunity, especially when you are young...if you are willing to work work work!!!!

Apr 14, 2015 – Director of Marketing

We appreciate your taking the time to submit your review. Working aboard a cruise ship is not an easy job and we are very honest about the long hours and challenging work that awaits anyone applying... More

"Management just doesn't seem to get it."

Pros

Quality product, good fellow employees

Cons

Less than average salaries, way less.
    Anemic benefits
    No HR department/representative
    Takes the "at will" employee clause to the extreme;
    Management by fear
    Owner/President basically calls all the shots

Advice to Management

Get an HR manager in place, review compensation and benefits.
    Restructure Sales compensation and process to retain reps.
    Start treating employees like adults
    Engender some "cheer"

Apr 17, 2015 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for your comments. We value the feedback of both current and former employees and use this information to better our operating procedures.

We regret that you do not seem to enjoy your... More