American Cruise Lines - Great College Summer Job. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Cruise Lines

"Great College Summer Job."

Current Employee - Deckhand in New York, NY
Current Employee - Deckhand in New York, NY

I have been working at American Cruise Lines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Spent a summer earning money, almost no expenses (the company pays room and board). The crew are mostly young people doing the same thing for a summer during college and everyone is really friendly. Most managers are just starting out the hospitality industry. They are a nice network of people to know and offer to help later on.

Cons

You have to buy your uniform in the beginning... sort of a bad first impression. You always have to be willing to work very long and unusual hours. To me it is part of the adventure, but some people needed to adjust to it, and others just didnt like it.

Apr 14, 2015 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Deckhand positions are not easy jobs and we make this very clear in posted job descriptions and during the interview process. The hours are long ... More

Other Employee Reviews for American Cruise Lines

"Company DOES NOT care about its employees"

Current Employee - Housekeeping Manager in Guilford, CT
    Current Employee - Housekeeping Manager in Guilford, CT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only Pros to this company is that you get to travel and see the world without paying for it. Of course meeting new people and working on a ship is also a great perk to it. Your travel, dry cleaning, room and board is also paid for. Other than that not much....

Cons

Long hours with no appreciation from upper management. The expectations and little to no breaks are ridiculous. You work these long hours and you get nothing back from home office.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation and work out more break times and more pay. You never know if you are doing anything correct unless home office comes on board thinking they know what they are doing. We adjust checklists on board for realistic work and not what you think is going to happen on the ship.

Apr 3, 2015 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. At American Cruise Lines we are constantly working to improve our organization and welcome the honest opinion of current and former employees. We ... More

"NOT UP TO YOUR POTENTIAL, THIS COMPANY IS BENEATH YOU, DECEPTIVE, IMMORAL, UNETHICAL, GREEDY,"

Former Employee - Steward in Guilford, CT
    Former Employee - Steward in Guilford, CT

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NONE, NONE AT ALL. MONEY WITH THE PRICE OF LOSING YOUR DIGNITY.

Cons

I knew I should've ran away when I first saw how many more bad reviews than good reviews. But that didn't stop me. I knew I should've ran away when this job, I realized, summoned people from all over the nation (some of a lesser class, and some you could say just rude and ill mannered). I knew I should've ran away when I saw those horrible dirty rooms we were supposed to sleep in (damp and humid, especially on the beddings). I knew I should've ran away when the culture of the work environment itself was independence and not wanting to be a team. I knew I should've ran away when I realized what tools, puppets, pawns we were to this greedy company. This company who decides to cut corners, the decisions at the macro level affect the people at the micro level. It leaves them miserable and resentful. I knew I should've ran away when I felt alienated because of a few certain employees who just didn't know how to let things go and move on. I knew I should've left when my managers were the ones telling me to f off. Travel? Yeah right. Traveling to rich people places. If that's what you call travel, then you must be some rich dill hole. Make them pay. Don't take this job. Experience is everything. Work Culture is everything. This company creates madness in you to the point of numbing.

Advice to Management

WHAT GOOD WOULD THAT DO? THEY BELONG TO A COMPANY IN OF ITSELF A PROBLEM.

Apr 14, 2015 – Director of Marketing

We appreciate you taking the time to offer your opinion. At American Cruise Lines we value the feedback of both current and former employees and use this information to better our organization and ... More