American Cruise Lines - Great company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Cruise Lines

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Steward in Bangor, ME
Former Employee - Steward in Bangor, ME

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like being on a boat and working for several weeks at a time, then I would definitely recommend this company to you. I found that it was pretty easy to get along with just about everyone on the boat. It was definitely a different job experience for me, but I did enjoy working for them.

Cons

Being in small quarters with the other women workers. Long days.

Apr 13, 2015 – Director of Marketing

We appreciate your taking the time to relay your experience with American Cruise Lines. Our onboard positions are not easy and we stress in posted job descriptions and interviews that this job ... More

Other Employee Reviews for American Cruise Lines

"Unique experience with great money opportunities and travel"

Former Contractor - Deckhand in Deltona, FL
    Former Contractor - Deckhand in Deltona, FL

I worked at American Cruise Lines as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the places I visited. Especially the Hudson river cruise (one of my favorites). The people I worked with were fantastic and helped me get into the industry an gave me tons of information to help me in my career. ACL is definitely a stepping stone. I received tons of experience I used to get a job with larger cruise ships and it gave me confidence to apply to Paul Hall Center of Maritime Training and pursue a career in the maritime industry. Now I'm a licensed mariner, and have over 6 1/2 years of allotted sea time. Steady work with steady pay. Great for the young like 18-26 year old.

Cons

Long hours, lack of appreciation for hard work put into the weeks of your contract, and little breaks. No bonuses like were promised at time of interview. Short contracts with no guarantee of return employment. You have to buy your own flight to get to the ship, and purchase one from the ship to get home.

Advice to Management

Consider keeping the 12 week long contracts, but after a 7th or 8th week, do an internal performance revue of the employees and at the end the 12 weeks give the results of the revues to those who took it. The one reason the bad revues keep popping up is the lack of confidence from Guilford, maybe encourage the current employees to continue their efforts. Make it possible for those who voluntarily left the company to return to work for the company, no one should be "blacklisted" just because they quit on their own volition.

Apr 13, 2015 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with American Cruise Lines. We value the feedback of both current and former employees and use this information to better our organization ... More

2. "You will Sail with this Opportunity!!!"

Former Contractor - Steward in Guilford, CT
    Former Contractor - Steward in Guilford, CT

I worked at American Cruise Lines as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I was a STEWARD, and loved every minute of it. I got to sail the great Columbia River in the Pacific Northwest, the great rivers of Florida, the Great South Charleston- Jacksonville...You get to serve great guests who love to sail, and look forward to your great service. I learned so much with the opportunity ACL provided. The friendships with my fellow stewards was amzing and still cherish them. Managers top notch. Drew, Mike Olivio, Laura, Chelsey, Nikki, Paul, Joe.

Cons

No cons at all, such a great and pleasant experience

Advice to Management

Great Job to all the managers! Especially DREW

Apr 13, 2015 – Director of Marketing

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience working with American Cruise Lines. We do our best to create a positive work environment that will lead to a productive crew and a great ... More