American Diabetes Association - Great time. | Glassdoor

"Great time."

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Champaign, IL
Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Champaign, IL

I worked at American Diabetes Association part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Great purpose in the company. People ready to help a good cause. I would recommend this company.

Cons

I can not say anything bad about the company. I would have liked to have worked for the company more than seasonal.

Other Employee Reviews for American Diabetes Association

1. "There are many caring and professional individuals which mostly compensates for mediocre pay."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Important mission, good people, great CEO in Larry Hausner, exciting developments in mission-oriented efforts, and a field that is expanding (unfortunately) due to the prevalence of diabetes. The benefits are amazing too.

Cons

The pay is a major con. Although higher level professionals may earn more, entry-level salaries are on the low end.

Advice to Management

"You get what you pay for." If upper level management wishes to retain skilled and capable employees, they should pay entry level staff adequately.

"The Good, The Bad, The Ugly"

Former Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay for is average, some of the employees are fun and intelligent ,benefits are standard for most places these days. Great Vacation and Personal Time. The CICS is a good work place most of time.

Cons

1. Unclear Direction
    2. Contradictions

I have read the review posted on 5/24/12 and I do agree with some of what was posted. What I do not agree with is the assessment of the floor supervisors. One is most certainly not exceptional in anyway. He will smile and tell the upper management whatever he thinks they want to hear. They take this persons word as gospel without verification and as if he speaks for everyone. He does not. What is even worse is that this type of behavior is rewarded. I really hated to right this but felt the need to address the review that was posted on 5/24/12. This really is a good place to work most of the time, however the petty jealousies and high school popularity contest atmosphere is tiring. If you are an adult and are used to people taking responsibility for their actions you will be shocked at the pass the buck mentality of the other departments. While it is true that there are some problems, what work place is perfect? The managers there do try, but they say one thing, but their actions often do not match their words. When I left the call center they had a good core of representatives that do care, but they not at fully staffed and underpaid. Overall I enjoyed my short time there, the truth is I would like to work there again once they have regained focus.

Advice to Management

Rewarding toadies and not looking into matters yourself and talking to the individuals there leads to the opinions expressed in the other reviews. Focus on providing the best possible service to those that contact you for help and not of promoting the next attempt at fundraising. Most people realize that non-profit organizations are driven by donations. There should be some parts of your organization that insulated from the need to push your agenda particularly the only part of your organization that many people come in contact with. On that note you should also understand that while the compensation offered is ok it is not great. Realize that your employees at your home office live in one of the most expensive area's in our nation. Pay the public face of your organization a living wage. Understand we are often the only contact some people with have with you, make sure that experience is as good as possible if you want them to be future supporters of your mission . The ADA does good things, but they should be striving not to do good thing but great ones.