American Eagle Outfitters - Good Times at AEO | Glassdoor

"Good Times at AEO"

Former Intern - Production Intern
Former Intern - Production Intern

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The job allowed me to work with many different people across a variety of tasks. The best part was going into the stores to perform hands-on evaluations of the products.

Cons

Working with different supervisors was a bit difficult at times. There wasn't always something to do, so I would at times be given arbitrary tasks or nothing to do at all.

Other Employee Reviews for American Eagle Outfitters

"Too much work for too little pay."

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-40% discount, which is good if you buy your wardrobe at American Eagle.
    -videos update you on new fashions and trends going on in the store.

Cons

-they don't give enough hours to employees. (2-3 shifts a week)

-they don't email you the schedule. they EXPECT you to pick it up on your own time. sometimes they will tell you your schedule on the phone. sometimes they will say come in and get it. that is ridiculous. email the schedule for god sake.

-they will hustle you no matter what you're doing. it's not like working in any store. managers will constantly say fold those, help them, get on register, get them to sign up for a Rewards card, get them to sign up for a Credit card, faster faster faster! It creates a level of anxiety and becomes something you dread.

-pressing you into signing up every customer for a Rewards card, Credit Card, or harvesting their email address. I have no problem asking a customer, but it can become borderline harassment to the customer and god knows my managers harass me into pushing these things as hard as possible.

-there is some kind of expectation that you should find a replacement if you are too ill to come to your shift. why do i have to find a replacement? isn't that what call-in shifts (already built into the schedule) are for? also, I am not being compensated to make these phone calls and find a replacement. it is work without compensation. I don't know where this expectation came from because the Associate Handbook says nothing about needing to find a replacement, and it is very strict about unpaid work. (ipso facto: unpaid work shouldn't happen).

-they don't make it clear how you move up in the company. I don't think they expect associates to move up the ladder. They pay you your crummy retail salary, and work you as hard as they can until your shift is up.

Advice to Management

Give your employees more hours. Stop employing a sea of people who only work 2-3 shifts a week. Let their job be their job. Let them devote themselves to it. Praise their good work, and explain why mistakes are mistakes and how it should be done.

Email the schedule to people! You already like harvesting every customers email. The least you could do is take my email and send me the schedule.

Relax the atmosphere. Let us ask customers if they need help, if they would like a Rewards card, credit card, etc, but stop turning everything into a sales pitch. People don't like to be harassed and I don't like to harass them.

Stop the crap of finding your own replacement. If I'm sick, I'm sick. Use somebody's call-in or have a manager make some calls. I'm sick and I'm not getting paid to call up all the employees and say please work today.

2. "Was Good"

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters full-time

Pros

The pros of this company are all the benefits they offer.

Cons

The cons of this company is as any fashion company.