American Eagle Outfitters - LIVE YOUR LIFE, LOVE YOUR JOB | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Eagle Outfitters

"LIVE YOUR LIFE, LOVE YOUR JOB"

Current Employee - Key Holder in Jacksonville, FL
Current Employee - Key Holder in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great brand, they are very loyal. great quality clothes. & great retail experience

Cons

hard to move up. turn over rate suck for management. they LOVE hiring outsiders instead of promoting with-in even though other companys business standards are lower (ie. forever 21, aero, pacsun)

Advice to Management

find good sales associates, train them to perfection, then promote them

Other Employee Reviews for American Eagle Outfitters

1. "Ok work experience, flexible hours needs to be revamped"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, decent discount, enjoyed helping people find clothes that worked for them. Management was typically very supportive of customers finding their style no matter what.

Cons

Having to be available for shifts but not being called to take those shifts. This resulted in only getting 15-20 hours a week of work but having 30-40 hours blocked off in case they need you. Also like most retail stores pushing credit cards on people was encouraged.

Advice to Management

Use statistics to have better ideas of staffing levels.

"I had a great experience until one event changed everything!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a great company for which to work; however, this one event changed my glowing thought into mere adequacy. The first year was fantastic; the management was amazing, the discount was great, my coworkers were fantastic. It was after that one event (read below) that slowly morphed my opinion from once a positive, uplifting, and daresay awesome and relaxed workplace, into mere apathy. Our store was a family. Many workers showed up on their day's off to shop and to socialize. We went out after work, without management, to restaurants and to bars. We had parties, and what I at first thought a regular retailer became an awesome place to work. We were there for each other and the talk amongst workers was not gossip yet of concern and worry. When a person was in a rut we brought cake and balloons in hopes that they would feel better. We celebrated birthdays and Christmases. We had a pre-Black Friday party once at work with cake and ice cream. We were there for each other. Our store rarely hired because the staff would not quit. I was twenty eight at the time, and due to the recession the average work age was in the mid to late twenties. Due to our closeness and positive nature it affected our awesome store environment. Our store grossed the highest in the district. Our DM was so friendly. She rarely came in based upon our numbers. When she did it was positive reimbursement on how our staff could go from great to superb. It made other stores in the district mad, and they were unhelpful when we called to check on items. Once the recession stopped great associates began to leave due to job openings. Managers began to hire younger people who changed the very aura of our store. What became a family and a utopia of sorts turned into an elongated episode of Gossip Girl. The remaining left, twenty I think, became miserable based upon the new hires and the change in attitude. Within months nine of the remaining twenty senior employees, including myself left. I went back six months after I left, and of the original twenty when I quit, two remained.

Cons

I left this company based upon the fact that there is absolutely no room for advancement. I wanted to work my way up through this company; namely through the corporate office rather than that of the store. The office in Pittsburgh is where I thought my future career lie. I applied for jobs, and that angered the management team at my store because I did not inform them of my submitting the resume for future employment. I was unsure on why that was important yet I digress. Eventually there was a job opening that matched my qualifications in Pittsburgh and based upon prior discussion with managers about my applying for positions without their permission, I talked with them about my interest in this position. They were excited for me and told me to apply. I put in my resume for the advertisement writer and editor in hopes to hear something back (the position's qualifications were a college degree and six months of in store work). They called to check the store reference and my managers stated that I was an adequate worker. I came in early on Black Friday when nobody else would, I stayed late when needed, and I ran credit training seminars whilst I worked there. I received compliments from them about how I was the best hiring decision they ever made, and they stated that I was simply adequate. I became a tad angry about this; however, I never let that inhabit the way that I worked for this company. I continued to come in on time, to stay late, and to continue to ascertain my change in becoming adequate to superb. There was then an opening position for a supervisor, and I wanted to apply. I was told from managers that I was 'not ready, but I am almost there.' It seemed that they put out the stops for another person's promotion, and they never did that with me.
    It was after that event when I became antisocial with management and colleagues. I came in, did my job, and left. I did not go out with my colleagues as I once did. I took my breaks in the food court rather than in the back break area. My managers were worried I was depressed, and they called a meeting about my change in attitude towards my once outgoing nature to the more antisocial nature. They knew why I was upset. I cried in her office about how I felt that it was not fair. They understood, and they apologized. They said that the next job that opened up they would give me a high recommendation. I caved in and stayed three more months. Nothing happened, and I turned in my two week notice in mid August. The question is whether I would go back to this company? Yes I would, but not in the store level rather than in the corporate sector. I do want everyone to know that I have no animosity towards this company, and I do believe that it is a great company to work for. It was just towards the end of employment when I became upset.

Advice to Management

Help people advance! Those who are serious about working their way up through the company should be helped on how to do so. I believe that it is my only complaint.