American Express - Downside for working for a company for a long period of time | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Express

"Downside for working for a company for a long period of time"

Current Employee - Business Analyst I
Current Employee - Business Analyst I

Pros

Benifits--I beleive the benifits are very good.

Cons

I have worked there for so long, the pay ranges increase faster than my raises. So I'm always at the low end of the pay scale.

Advice to Management

Ensure tenured employees are taken care of finanically

Other Employee Reviews for American Express

"good company for fresh graduate"

Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

It is good to work for this company when you are fresh graduates. It gives you the time and resource to learn and accumulate experience. Pays are decent especially for Phoenix life. I am very proud to have my first job landed there. I just hope this company can survive through this financial crisis. And such a big company is managed pretty well comparing to other big company.

Cons

Work and life balance. I know some groups are really overwhelmed. Some employees are not happy for long hours work. Outsourcing is another problem employees have to face. India site create more competition.

Advice to Management

outsourcing to indian cannot solve all problems; sometimes it create other new problems

"Strong Talent, bureaucracy abounds - if you can navigate this place is for you!"

Current Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

The diverse set of talent across the organization, helps to keep you exposed to new ideas and forces you to understand your own career inspirations/direction as many folks just know what they want to do when they 'grow up'. Pay is reasonable and if you are in marketing this is a premier brand to take with you anywhere.

Cons

In a word, bureaucracy. Amex is the premier expert in creating silos and tearing down ease of work in order to increase the complexity of doing business. Many times the ideas are sound and might even make sense, until you've been around a while and its clear that politics are usually the biggest drivers for centralizing or decentralizing (and back again) a specific organization. The fact that we are in a very challenging time almost allows this type of behavior to go on, the best power players will survive, those with less skill will be posting on LinkedIn...

Advice to Management

Keep attracting and growing talent as the economic crisis will be guarantee to be less than infinity... If you've cut to far/deep you'll be regretting the choices made when it seemed as though you had to do something.