American Express - Best company I've worked for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Express

"Best company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Specialized Corporate Travel Counselor, Onsite Account in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Since joining American Express in 2006, I've felt like a valued asset to the company. There is a strong emphasis on work/life balance, career growth and development, customer service, and shareholder values, and I feel my voice is heard. Growth within the company is encouraged.

Cons

Not a lot of sick-time accrual, and the healthin insurance deductible is quite high for me ($1200 as a single person) before insurance will kick in.

Other Employee Reviews for American Express

1. "Great people but frustrating environment"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employees are generally smart and nice and they always want the best for the company. Great brand in the market and outside partners respect the relationship. A strong leader can guide you through the organization - your leader is critical to your success.

Cons

Completely hierachical and frustratingly slow. Even a small project take six months and always has to happen right before the review cycle to matter. Senior leadership changes so much that it's impossible to understand the strategy or the organization. Re-orgs became so frequent that you could not get too attached to any team or project. A lot of strong people have gotten displaced.

Advice to Management

Prior management teams were more successful in building momentum. Encourage new leaders to manage through strategic leadership instead of re-orgs.

2. "Great culture, smart people, interesting work"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Focus on work life balance, smart and motivated people who are easy to work with. Culture interested in employee and career development. Great location which just keeps getting better.

Cons

Pay and bonus not as high as competitors. Some employee interaction more passive than necessary delaying progress. As you progress, politics impact rating more than work output.

Advice to Management

Increase pay and bonus to ensure top talent stays with company.