American Express - Transformational | Glassdoor

"Transformational"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

American Express has a keen focus on development: personal, team, technology, company, and world development. With a passion for excellence, a true pursuit of integrity, and a collaborative spirit, my company is increasingly becoming a superior firm that I can proudly support. Leadership is strong and opportunities abound.

Cons

American Express has many opportunities for process improvement, mostly in the realm of establishing lean, balanced processes. With a tendency toward a heavy process, my company's renewed vision for optimization and flawless execution will strike a positive balance of efficiency. For me, process improvement (and the associated change management) is both fun and intuitive. Thus, this drawback is actually an exciting challenge for me.

Advice to Management

Continue to cultivate a strong sense of what is right morally and organizationally. Respectfully, firmly challenge directives if you perceive potential deficiency or danger. Maintain long-term mindsets, keeping a practical awareness of short-term necessities.

Other Employee Reviews for American Express

"Emotionally disconnected"

Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Game Room at Phoenix campus

Cons

Everything else. The training is terrible. One particular coach is racist and treats the white people better than the other races. She has a bad attitude covered by her super fake perky tone of voice. She talks down to people and it doesnt matter because no one does anything about it. If you ask her a question, you'll be lucky if she answers you without making you feel dumb.

The "metrics" we had to have to pass training are super unattainable. They tell you your CHT has to be at 341 and you have to have 12 TBASS over a rolling 4 week period to graduate. Then they make you use a stupid instant messenger where there are 10 people to 1 coach answering questions. Putting people on hold to have to wait for a response raises your CHT. How is this fair? It isn't! It's a joke! Do you feel that emotional connection?!

The RCAs are SO subjective. It depends on who is grading them if you will get an excellent or not. One coach tells me to do it this way and then a different coach listens to my call and gives me a "not excellent". It's not fair!

Advice to Management

Screen people you hire as coaches; half of them don't know their stuff and give us wrong answers. Then after informing the cardmember of the INCORRECT answer, we have to go back and correct ourselves. IF the coach realizes their mistake in time.

"Home Based CCP agents"

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Hartford, CT

I worked at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Wonderful health packages.

Cons

Call taking week 3 with out full training. Customers not referring company to a friend in surveys count against you.

Advice to Management

Hire instructors who have taught virtual. Provide navigational learning tools to agents. Change your metrics to reflect fairly. Surveys should be read and agents should not be held accountable for whether a customer would refer the company to a friend. Call handling time should be a reachable goal.