American Express - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager - Risk Management in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Senior Manager - Risk Management in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good work life balance. Values your education. Reasonable pay for Phoenix standards.

Cons

Management makes strange promotion decisions. Hiring and laying off seem to be cyclical based on the economy.

Advice to Management

Maintain a more stable level of employment.

Other Employee Reviews for American Express

"I prefer being in jail over working here again."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and ok pay. I loved the cafeteria. The people who worked there were super friendly and nice. Amazing training. I knew what I was dong on the phones and it gave me confidence when I talked to customers. The equipment and office tools were amazing. I loved my office space they gave me.

Cons

If you don't like being micro managed about every little thing you do, don't work here. This job knew when you were going to the bathroom and if you didn't get back on the phones in time, a ton of managers would harass you about it.

This company is all about politics, drove me crazy. I worked customer service which is amazing for the customer but the employees are all under appreciated and burnt out and management doesn't care. They also have a meeting were you sit and listen to your calls in a room with the area president and your manager and his manager of the company, can we say stressful job people! If they weren't so strict about the time you spent there and would actually get to know the employees and not treat them like robots, it would have been better. The schedules were a joke, basically the people who would kiss upper managements butts got promoted and got the schedules they wanted. It wasn't the most skilled employees like they say when they hire you. I hear other departments in the company are better but this department is horrible and all about who is friends with the boss.

Advice to Management

Get a life and stop sucking up to your boss above you. Fake and non genuine robots is what I think of the customer service managers at AMEX. Unless someone from upper management is around they don't care about you. Take care of the people below you and stop sucking up to your boss all the time in front of us. Management there is very selfish and all about advancing in their careers, they don't care like they say do and its a problem.

"Excellent Company"

Pros

Customer & Employee Focused
    Strives to do the right thing

Cons

Doing more with less is prevalent

Advice to Management

Some poor leadership amongst the ranks