American Express - Great company with huge emphasis on people. | Glassdoor
  1. "Great company with huge emphasis on people."

Former Employee - Compliance Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's an all-around solid company. It's the leader in its field, which makes it a relatively stable company to work for. But more importantly, I was blown away by how much they care about their employees. They absolutely put the right amount of effort into ensuring their people are taken care of. There is plenty of opportunity to advance. The only reason I left was because of a career change. Would highly recommend.

Cons

Like many large corporations, communication can be difficult and certain institutional practices can become rigid.

Advice to Management

Stay flexible and keep up with modern tech trends.

American Express2019-05-21
  1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at American Express for less than a year

Pros

Well organized environment. Well treated employees

Cons

None that come to mind

American Express2019-06-12

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have fantastic pay for the position you're in, and they teach you interesting and engaging utility of modern technology mixed with legacy fundamentals. I've learned quite a bit while AmEx while getting paid more than fairly - I'd recommend a stretch here to whomever may be reading this!

Cons

The Company is huge, and at times it may take more than a little time to get recognized for your abilities and the growth you've had. There's a reason there is a "only way up is out" reputation exists for some enterprise companies...

Advice to Management

Do 6-month evaluations with serious consideration for interior promotions before out-side-in hiring. Then hire only at the bottom level (entry). Let tech. decide when/who to promote for tech. because business holds the wallet, but doesn't necessarily know what's best.

American Express2018-11-26

Discover more reviews about American Express.