American Express - Decent Work Life Balance, But Experience Depends on Your Leader | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Express

"Decent Work Life Balance, But Experience Depends on Your Leader"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Work life balance (at least in comparison to the rest of NY)
-Great brand/resume builder
-Focus on development of talent (at least in theory, in practice is very dependent on leaders close to you)

Cons

-Lesser and lesser responsibility available in mid-level jobs
-Innovation and creativity significantly hindered by regulatory environment and bureaucracy
-Work becoming less intellectual and fulfilling and more executional every day

Advice to Management

Change your hiring strategy. You can't recruit top talent with the same interests as you did 5 years ago. Those people will become frustrated and disengaged within months in the majority of jobs that now exist at the company.

Other Employee Reviews for American Express

"Call Center Mill - New Accounts Associate"

Former Employee - New Accounts in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - New Accounts in West Valley City, UT

I worked at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are good: medical, vacation pay, and sick pay. The building is nice.

Cons

Working in a cubicle, taking call after call all day long burned me out. Customers called in and were upset and yelled about their bills or deals they didn't get on a new card. AmEx expects you to have low avg call time and after call wait. You have to login within a couple of minutes of your shift and they watch your stats really closely. It was a call center mill to put it simply. I had good stats, but it still burned me out.

Advice to Management

Rotate employees more, so they can do other jobs. People get burned out doing the same thing day in and day out. Give more opportunity to cross-train and move around.

"Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Plantation, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Plantation, FL

I worked at American Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits start on your first day of work. Pay is great.

Cons

Ken has taken the heart out of American Express during his tenure as CEO. No one cares for the little guy and thinks that just by throwing money at the CCPs they will be happy. Lip service paid to "Work/Life Balance". What they really want is for you to balance your life around work. Do more, in less time, with less resources. Faster, faster, faster. Take away the niceties from customer service. "We won the JDPower award 7 times, there's no way we can lose it, no matter what we do" is the new mantra. Stress is the word of the day. Heart attacks and ambulances weekly at the call center. I miss the company I started with.

Advice to Management

Step back, you encourage feedback, which you don't listen too, maybe you should start.