American Express - Great company to work for. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Express

"Great company to work for."

Pros

Good work-life balance and good pay.

Cons

Innovation processes are weak and obsolete

Other Employee Reviews for American Express

"Conspiracy to term as many of the tenured individuals as humanly possible!"

Current Employee - Merchant Services in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Merchant Services in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first started working for Amex, I thought I had found a gold mine. They seemed to be the type of company that had disregarded the fact that they were doing business in a right to work state and were committed to giving their employees a fair shot at an amazing career. The benefits were awesome as well and the employees bonded like family.

Cons

After being at Amex for 1 year +, I quickly learned that employees were just as, if not more disposable than most other companies. In the course of 1 month, I watched 4 of my co-workers who had been there for at least 20 years get fired for minor hiccups like falling in the bottom 20% on surveys and others from a technicality resulting from a misunderstanding of a policy being deemed a "critical infraction" by management. From that point on, my faith in Amex was shot and I suppose it is of no surprise seeing as all of the new hires have ridiculous and stringent metrics to uphold after only 4 weeks of training before they are released with the general population. Case in point, why pay the reliable veteran more when you can still program the thirsty newbie to do what you want them to do and for peanuts? Makes sense to me.

Advice to Management

It is really sad that they have allowed a company that so many people once loved to work for become the bureaucratic, money-hungry monster it is today. They think that by throwing potlucks every other week that the morale will be maintained when people are watching their friends get canned by the dozens. Doing this creates inappropriate staffing which in turn creates a heavier workload on other employees and a high call abandonment rate by already busy merchants who simply got tired of holding. They need to quit treating their employees like they are robots. If they want to make their customers happy, they need to update their "dinosaur" systems, reconsider their policies (from the perspective of their customers, not their shareholders) and quit trying to hold their "consultants" accountable for their customers' reactions to policies being made by their own policy makers. They should also quit shipping their AMERICAN jobs out to INDIA and the PHILIPPINES. People just aren't buying the whole "we are an international company" bit when they are trying to conduct important business matters with a company whose very title is "American" Express.

2. "overall a good company some departments are toxic though"

Current Employee - CCP in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - CCP in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of time off in your first year, there are lots of opportunities to advance but as my title says some departments are toxic and extremely inconsistent

Cons

Horrible benefits, the health plan options are a true joke you'd save money having no insurance. Depending on what department you are in the management can be average to extremely inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Consistency, listen to your employees, don't have your leadership bribe and influence your people before yearly pulse surveys