American Express - Working hard to do the right things | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Express

"Working hard to do the right things"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Amex is a great company. They aim to be the World's most respected service Brand. At Amex, it is all about service and most employees are that way, especially customer care professionals on the phones. I like working at Amex because I can connect with the idea of serving individual people and small businesses. I love the new and innovative ways we as a company are trying to do that.

Some other things I like:
BlueWork - The ability as a manager to work virtually when needed. This has been very valuable as we had a new baby in our family recently and I have been able to home to help out and work later in the evening after the kids have gone to bed.
Challenge - Amex expects you to be thinking in new ways and improve on what is currently being done. They recognize and reward discretionary effort.

Cons

NYC is very centralized for a global company. NYC is the Headquarters and that is still quite evident. Amex is working on becoming more global, but as it currently stands, most divisions are 50% US and 50% international. If you want to move up in HR, the feeling is, you have to be in NYC.

Also, others have cited poor productivity tools as a con for Amex and last year I totally agreed. I honestly wouldn't have stayed with Amex after interning with them knowing I would have to use Lotus Notes, had I not heard the plan to move to Outlook. Amex is finally rolling out new tools including Exchange/Outlook (this month) and Sharepoint in a couple of months from now.

Advice to Management

Consider saving the company significant real estate costs by moving the headquarters out of NYC. This would reduce operating costs from real estate, and improve the cost of living and commute times for employees.

Other Employee Reviews for American Express

"A corporation that allows managers to conduct unethical behavior and doesn't take action."

Former Employee - Quality Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Quality Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great co-workers, telecommuting opportunities, multiple locations throughout the world. American Express used to be a great place to work, however over the past few years quality no longer mattered,

Cons

Middle management lack integrity and ethics. Many senior leaders look the other way when they know things are occurring. Poor healthcare benefits, no options. Continual layoffs. Corporation provides better benefits and incentives to different departments.

Advice to Management

Read the understand the Blue Box Values and believe in them and listen to your employees. Eliminate managers that are causing you to lose great employees with long standing careers.

2. "Wonderful"

Current Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Challenging work, great opportunities, excellent coworkers

Cons

This is a wonderful company, I have been here for 8 years and still love it.

Advice to Management

None