American Exteriors - Great Place for someone just getting started | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Exteriors

"Great Place for someone just getting started"

I worked at American Exteriors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Those who work hard will be noticed

Cons

non-traditional work hours are the norm

Other Employee Reviews for American Exteriors

"Good Job for College Students - nothing more."

Current Employee - AST
    Current Employee - AST

Pros

I worked remotely, so the hours were highly flexible, I decided when and how long I worked for (working with the team on site is less flexible, shifts are 8 to 9 hours long, generally beginning at 1pm). Job was very simple - gathering leads door to door. Compensation was excellent for what I was doing and was the absolute perfect job for a busy college student. I typically earned between $20 and $40 an hour with commissions/bonuses and could easily work my hours around my school schedule.

Cons

The job is extremely boring and door to door gets old fast. It also gets old working outside regardless of the weather. The company is highly disorganized. Problems with pay, hours, policies, etc... are a nightmare to resolve because of the communication and organizational issues within the company (for example it took over 2 months for me to receive some of my travel reimbursement checks). Additionally, crap flows downhill. I get written up several times for violations of company policies that I was not made aware of until my supervisor got in trouble and blamed me. They also have a goofy policy about the auto insurance you carry if you work remotely, upping my insurance plan to comply with the policy cost me an extra $500/yr. On top of that American Exteriors wanted to be listed as a "Lean holder" or "Additional interest" on my auto insurance policy despite the fact that every insurance company I talked to said this was illegal because Amext had no legal ownership of the vehicle.

Finally, I would never work for American Exteriors as a career because the success of the company is driven by aggressive sales and not by quality or competitive advantages. Upper management is uncompromising and the company culture is not one that I want to be a part of.

Advice to Management

Bring in a consultant to improve the efficiency of your processes. Recruit for the AST position at college campuses, don't bother hiring the burnouts that generally reply to the ads in the paper. Treat your people better. There is always an underlying feeling that the company could care less about employees, especially ASTs, therefore the sentiment is generally returned by employees. Work on improving AST training as well. Turnover for the AST position is high because a lot of people make it harder than it really is - it's all about the assumptive close. Develop a basic website that is updated in real time where AST employees can see the leads/sales that have been generated by the contacts they bring in for a given payperiod. I believe this would be a great motivational tool because ASTs could see the connection between their efforts and their compensation.

2. "A chance at improving both my financial and future long term security."

Current Employee - New Account Exc
    Current Employee - New Account Exc

Pros

I have really been come along way since I have started working here and I am very thankful for the chance to not only better my life but my goals as well.

Cons

Sometime's it is hard to meet my goals but I have learned to keep striving foward and to change a negative into a postive so the overall outcome is alot better.

Advice to Management

I would like more opporunity at advancement as well as being able to help others so that I may help myself as well.