American Funds - They are the standard I compare other employment experiences with | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Funds

"They are the standard I compare other employment experiences with"

Former Employee - Team Manager in Norfolk, VA
Former Employee - Team Manager in Norfolk, VA

I worked at American Funds full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Insurance, retirement package, bonuses, in office subsidised cafeteria, culture - employee & family picnic, tickets to local events, etc. The greatest take away in my opinion was the financial and investment knowledge that I gained in the course of learning to assist shareholders has provided tremendous personal benefits too.

Cons

Very flat organization, more lateral growth opportunities vs. upward mobility. The overtime requirements were a personal issue for me at family rearing stage of life.

Other Employee Reviews for American Funds

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at American Funds full-time

Pros

At American Funds the compensation is good and you're treated fairly. The culture is relaxed and management is very approachable. They are extremely sensitive about not offending anyone, so if you like to tell dirty jokes at work this probably isn't the company for you.

Cons

Because American Funds makes decisions through consensus, it can take a long time to implement a new idea. It can also be very secretive; if, one morning, the person that sits next to you is gone and their desk packed up, you'll just be told that they "no longer work for the company." Don't ask any more questions, or you'll be seen as a troublemaker.

Advice to Management

My experience with management was very positive. I would just urge them to be a little more open.

"Introverted and Nasty"

Former Contractor - ITAnalyst in San Antonio, TX
    Former Contractor - ITAnalyst in San Antonio, TX

I worked at American Funds as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a full time employee you might have a shot at a good life style. Otherwise, not.

Cons

This company is up your backside all the time. Can you imagine in 2014 that they CLOCK each employee in and out, including lunch? Because of that no one ever leaves the building for lunch so you are a captive employee, Horrible. They also promote a culture of fear and intimidation that should be illegal.

Advice to Management

Remove all middle management. Treat all employees with true equality. Remove the time clocks.