American Girl - A company that truly cares about their employees and their customers. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Girl

"A company that truly cares about their employees and their customers."

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Girl part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a happy & extremely rewarding environment. The feeling you get when you see little girls waiting for you to open the doors is such an excitement that most people will never get to experience at work. There are great perks, such as the employee discount and huge Christmas "box" from Mattel, filled with at least 10 different free toys from various Mattel brands. Probably most important is the incomparable employee recognition. We are treated so well, from paid training programs, to free breakfast, to paid "play days" (you get paid to literally play with toys for an hour), it's an amazing company to work for.

Cons

Since it's a smaller company, its a slower process for promotion as there just aren't as many positions available higher up.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on! Don't stop what you're doing: don't ever forget about who this company was made for and who makes up this company.

Other Employee Reviews for American Girl

1. "Great training, investment in employees"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at American Girl part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Offered many training opportunities which included a lengthy orientation process even for seasonal workers and opportunities to count hours for activities such as book clubs to learn about company products.
    * Great benefits for those interested in Mattel and American Girl products. Great discount (15-20%) and drawings for free products.

Cons

* Rigid working hours - had to commit to at least 1 weekday shift and two weekend shifts for seasonal workers. (I think that I remember that correctly...)
    * It was difficult to make last minute changes to the work schedule and to find people to cover for me. I partly feel this is because they staffed, oddly enough, a little too well. No one was particularly looking for additional shifts.

2. "Very difficult to land permanent position"

Current Employee - Order Processor Or Direct Service Representative in Middleton, WI

I have been working at American Girl part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

wonderful people to work with.
    excellent training provided by this company.
    respected product, able to be proud of what you do and proud of what we sell.
    good employee discounts if you know someone who likes dolls!

Cons

most workforce is seasonal. Very difficult to land something that is permanent, year-round work. Situation working in individual booths means little opportunity to meet others you work with.

Advice to Management

loyal seasonal employees for a number of years end up feeling like they are "banging their heads against a brick wall" when passed over for permanent positions in the dept. or company