American Greetings - Good only for a stepping stone to a better job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Greetings

"Good only for a stepping stone to a better job"

Former Employee - PT Merchandiser
Former Employee - PT Merchandiser

Pros

Pay is ok.
Excellent way to network in order to find a more stable position.

Cons

They do not give enough time for the work expected. You are supposed to charge every phone call, e-mail or discussion you have about work but if you do you will have less time to actually work the store. Supervisors know it's too little time yet pressure you to "somehow" get it done.

They tell you it's a flexible schedule but then start putting other scheduling expectations on you. You must schedule your calls on the day your order delivers. You find out that specific stores only want you there on certain days or certain times.

Your schedule does not load until the day before the week begins. It's difficult to make any personal plans.

There is an expectation that you carry a cell phone yet they won't reimburse you. I finally told them I wasn't going to carry my cell phone at work anymore. In fact you must use your own cell phone, internet service, land line AND buy your own packing tape and office supplies etc. if needed.

You aren't given a mileage reimbursement, they give you travel time between stores but not to your first store or your trip home. There are times I had only one service call for an hour. That meant that I received no travel time. My pay for the day basically paid for the gas to get there.

There is no consistency in your schedule. One week you might have 20 hours, the next 5.

Advice to Management

All managers should have to work at a store for a few weeks to understand how important the merchandisers are to the company. Give us realistic expectations to avoid high turnover.

Other Employee Reviews for American Greetings

"Meh"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

Pros

Fun Environment, well known company

Cons

Bad LEadership
    Lots of layoffs
    Confusing company

"They don't treat people fairly."

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Merchandiser

Pros

Our schedules are fairly flexible. I enjoy the actual work involved in merchandising and working with other merchandisers at revisions.

Cons

I've never worked for a company that criticized their people about the silliest things. No matter how hard you work, it is never good enough. They expect you to complete tasks in very small amounts of time and when it doesn't get done, they don't understand why. Many people work off the clock so they don't get in trouble for going over hours. When raise time comes around and you are rated as "Exceeding Expectations", they tell you that you can't get the raise that goes with it because you make too much money. If I were supporting a family alone, my wages would be considered poverty level.

Advice to Management

When you want to criticize your employees, at least make it something that makes a difference in sales. You shouldn't make criticizing a required part of workwiths. If someone does a good job, give them the raise they deserve - you really don't pay that well. Stop telling us that the budget for merchandising is your biggest expense. Without us, you would have no sales.