American Greetings - Victim of the 20+ year employment purge | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Greetings

"Victim of the 20+ year employment purge"

Former Employee - Analyst in Cleveland, OH
Former Employee - Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Greetings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Exposure to work with some really good knowledgeable people. Stable job environment if you are not ambitious.

Cons

Nepotism. Managers that are silo driven and not corporate driven. Employees with 20 years of company tenure are often purged due to pay scale and benefits. Some positions do not offer transferrable skill sets.

Advice to Management

Need to show loyalty to long-term proven employees.

Other Employee Reviews for American Greetings

"Long-time employee in the creative division"

Current Employee - Creative in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Creative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at American Greetings full-time

Pros

My colleagues are top-notch, and I've made lifetime freinds here -- in fact, most people say their coworkers are the reason they stick around!

Great amenities like a huge & fast cafeteria, on-site Starbucks, dry cleaner, half-price card & gift shop, and easy parking.

Cons

The financial pressure associated with the recent (2013) privatization of the company has put the business into a frozen state... Job #1 has become "Make Money to Pay Back Loans."

The culture is slowly changing for the better, but some pockets of bad middle management remain.

Advice to Management

American Greeetings is a good place to work... but sadly it's obvious that it's a GREAT place to work only if you're within the "inner circle" of family and friends-of-family. The caste system is very visible, and it's a demotivator when it's apparent that rewards aren't necessarily given out on the basis of merit.

2. "Only got this job to make it through the winter and am applying for other jobs daily to escape this place."

Current Employee - PT Installer - Special Projects in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - PT Installer - Special Projects in Seattle, WA

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers on my crew work well and get along together for the most part. Other than that, not many pros during my time here so far.

Cons

Upper management has ZERO idea on how to schedule the revisions or build display racks. I think when they figure out scheduling, they just have a map and throw darts at it to decide the order and locations of our next store.

Most of the time, we have a job in our area but next day we have to drive hundreds of miles to get to the next revision then be hundreds of miles in the opposite direction from our home the next day. Some days we work 4 hrs, others it turns into a fiasco of 14 hrs or more and gets very stressful to meet time limits of our schedule and the store managers we deal with.

90% of the time we are missing parts (or they are severely damaged) and have to "McGyver" the card racks and displays with random or on-site custom built parts and a whole lot of ingenuity.

They need to pay installers and merchandisers a living wage so there's less turn-over. Nothing's more frustrating than having to constantly stop what you're working on to train someone new everyday or week while you are trying to get your job done quickly end efficiently.

We have about a 50/50 shot at having a dumpster delivered before we get to our next job site. Sometimes we have to remove the old displays, separate the metal from the plastic, stack them on pallets and wrap it all up. Then we're expected to come back to break those apart and throw it in the dumpster whenever it finally arrives days later all while trying to get to your scheduled store that night on time.

And last but not least, they have a very strange way to input your hours. It's a SharePoint application that is so screwed up, you are lucky if you can even log in at all.

Good luck to anyone wanting to work here because in the division of AG I work at, it's a disaster. To partially quote Forrest Gump... "It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get."

Advice to Management

Implement the LEAN system during revisions... actually it should be implemented company wide to save time, money, jobs and headaches from our end. Make Area Supervisors be on-site when we do revisions to get a better understanding of the work, time and problems we encounter everyday. I'm sure they can make this happen because it seems like they have a massive amount of supervisors all either passing the buck to the next guy down or ignoring our concerns altogether.