American Heart Association - Stressful and Unprofessional | Glassdoor

"Stressful and Unprofessional"

Current Employee - Fundraising Director in Fort Worth, TX
Current Employee - Fundraising Director in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to visit Austin, Texas for your New Employee Orientation. The main office is very nice and huge, new and modern furniture and very nice area.

Managers are rarely around which is a good thing. Several managers, VP's and SVP's and even the Affiliate EVP work from home.

Cons

Management "works from home or out of state". They are not responsible for their areas or when something goes wrong it’s blamed on the “little people”. They are paid inflated salaries for having little or no responsibility. Management Skills are non-existent - skills such as people, organizational, leadership and forget about ethics, professionalism or dependability. Managers and VP's and SVP's operate with a "Mean Girl" mentality. Behavior that is unacceptable is considered the “Norm”.
I have seen Good people leave or be fired within 30 days of employment. Turnover is through the roof. Employees who stand up to management are with terminated or forced to leave and later talked about as "Disgruntled Employees" even though the manager is the common denominator. If you are unable to cope with what should be unacceptable behavior or attempt to stand up for yourself, you will be either out of a job or forced to leave. I have witnessed this too many times and I have seen Great Employees leave this organization due to bullying.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be reviewed by the ethics department. Donor dollars are being wasted by individuals with a "Mean Girl" agenda. It's not productive and the expense of turnover is wasting money that could be going towards Heart Disease. Spending by managers is frivolous and needs to be monitored.

Other Employee Reviews for American Heart Association

"I have built a strong and fulfilling career with the AHA!"

Current Employee - Fundraising Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Fundraising Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have had a great experience and have been able to move up the ranks and build a strong career at the AHA. I have had years when i have not made my goal, and my manager helped me build a strong plan to overcome challenges and get to goal the next year. I love that I am constantly building new skills - from working with CEO's, to motivating volunteers and donors, to seeing the amazing research and systems change that we are doing. Every day is different and challenges me in a new way to keep my skills sharp and me interested!

Cons

If you do not know how to recruit, mobilize, and work with high level volunteers it is very difficult work. I would not recommend this organization for anyone that is not comfortable working through people (volunteers) to accomplish big goals. That is when you end up working 50+ hours a week and not meeting goals.

Advice to Management

Be transparent with the decisions you make so that employees at all levels understand why we do things in certain ways.

"Lots of opportunity for talented people"

Current Employee - Affiliate Fundraising Staff in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Affiliate Fundraising Staff in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Salary and benefits are great; rewards and advancement are there for people that know how to acccomplish goals and work well with others; wonderful, dedicated staff and volunteers; a compelling mission; leaders that care about the staff and the mission; flexibility for staff in hours and location if the person performs well

Cons

There are some former staff members that are writing on this site. Some people think that working for a nonprofit means relatively easy work. That is not true. When people find that a job is not for them, they should exit, but not bash the company. That is not good for them or for others. No one workplace fits all types of people, and unfortunately, there will sometimes be managers we don;t work well with. There are many happy people here that love working for the AHA. The AHA is in the top echelon of Non-Profits to Work For according to Non-Profit Times and as judged by current employees every year. Employee Engagement survey results are excellent. Check these out for a more complete perspective.