American Heart Association - Donors are a number | Glassdoor

"Donors are a number"

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at AHA for a total of 60 days and it was the worst example of true fundraising I've ever seen. I met some great people who truly care about the mission.

Cons

Donors are a number and it makes people feel squicky.I had this "boss" who was ridiculous, talking about her drunken escapades and being overall unprofessional. Then this "boss" was placed on "stress leave" for a month. Now it's another month or two, and although I'm not there anymore, its annoying that the boss is posting all over Facebook about her vacation. Her stress is really a welcome thing for the employees.

Advice to Management

Take note in how quick your development turnover is. Pay attention to what the little people are telling you.

Other Employee Reviews for American Heart Association

1. "Opportunity to make a difference every day"

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The AHA has such a compelling mission and I'm reminded of the difference we make each day in the stories of our volunteers, donors and coworkers. I'm also reminded of how much more there is to do so that all of us have access to the care, education and information, research and resources needed to take care of our hearts. I'm thankful to have the chance to work alongside colleagues - volunteers and staff - who are absolutely committed, well-intentioned and focused on advancing our mission in the best way possible across the diverse communities we serve. It's far from easy but incredibly rewarding.

Cons

I think I get the comments about the fundraising goals being aggressive but, at the same time, we're setting out to improve the cardiovascular health of all Americans by 20% in just a few short years. Having lost my father to a stroke, I can't help but wonder what unfunded research projects might have given me more time with him. Feeling like there is always so much more that can be done may be a con but also extremely motivating to keep going.

Advice to Management

Continue to help others see the difference they make and foster an environment in which they can feel great about it.

"Good, but why I no longer want to work non-profit"

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at American Heart Association as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, somewhat relaxed atmosphere, coffee and water provided, good mission and goals, occasional opportunities to contribute your own input and creativity, chance to meet people who trying to improve the local community.

Cons

Few opportunities to learn outside of the grunt work, no pay for lots of hours, outdated technology. As a non-profit "run by volunteers," there is a lot of emphasis on soliciting people until they donate/volunteer.

Advice to Management

I know you are considered a volunteer-driven non-profit, but consider paying your interns. Most are college students looking for experience, but, if you're like me, you'll get burnt out early from the hours expected on top of having classes and another job (to pay for the expenses from this internship).