American Heart Association - Loved the work, loved the flexibility, loved the cause. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association

"Loved the work, loved the flexibility, loved the cause."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Overall it was a very flexible and supportive environment. I was able to have a family, work full time, and adjust my in office schedule to meet my needs via work from home and flexible hours opportunities. Plus, at the end of the day I was completely passionate about the overall mission and goals of the company. I truly loved and enjoyed my job.

Cons

I worked very very long hours, had to travel frequently, and didn't feel the title or pay was commiserate with my job function and requirements.

Other Employee Reviews for American Heart Association

"Worst of the Worst.....You will kill your career"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The volunteers are very sweet. The co-workers you can trust are magnificent. The mission is honorable. The benefits are average.

Cons

Everything is micro-managed! And when you follow your leader's advice 100% it blow up in your face. If the leadership actually allowed their employees to do their job, as a real corporation would, the results would be amazing. It seem as though the management would rather sabotage and set you up for failure so they have a ready scape-goat rather than help you succeed!! This is the only work environment I have ever been in that the staff cried almost daily due to the absurdity of the work and the demeaning way in which they were treated. If you do not mind ruining your reputation, sanity, and health, then by all means pursue a "career" with AHA. You will soon find the organization far to rigid yet unorganized and uncaring to make a career and the reason for the extremely high turn-over will be apparent.

Advice to Management

Train your upper management in basic people skills. If you wish to be ran like a business promote those with business degrees that actually know business models. This is by far the worst organization I have ever worked for. You need to revamp the entire system in the SWA at the very least.

"AHA provided great experience and knowledge in the nonprofit sector."

Former Employee - Executive Director
    Former Employee - Executive Director

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for an amazing cause. The phenomenal volunteers and donors. The staff. Decent salary and unheard of retirement. Overall AHA is a great place to work.

Cons

Lack of work life balance. More staff needed for the expectations of the team. never enough time to celebrate a win.

Advice to Management

Slow down and notice what your team is doing. Hear their plans and ideas. Stop and celebrate success rather than moving right past it to the next big expectation.