American Heart Association - Quite miserable. | Glassdoor

"Quite miserable."

Current Employee - Administrative Associate in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Administrative Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Life-saving mission and great volunteers/survivors who are compelled to do great work.

Cons

There is no upward mobility for staff in support positions. You will rarely be referred to by your name as "admin" is sufficient. If you have a manager who focuses on your professional development, you are in the minority. The mission is great but the Chicago office is a death trap. Turnover is a serious issue - in my 16 months at the organization, I saw over 20 staff members rotate in and out of the office. Don't expect any support or understanding from HR. Getting a week off at Christmas means that you do not get many other holidays off. Expect the rug to be pulled out from under you at any moment.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage and value your employees - even the ones that don't raise money. Understand that a diverse workplace is not optional, especially in a city like Chicago. Your entire corporate development team should not resemble a sorority house at a college or university.

Other Employee Reviews for American Heart Association

"Mission is Great but Employee Environment is Abusive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are competitive for a non-profit sector job.
    Week off at Christmas
    Mission is exceptional
    Training is excellent and appropriate. For example, they have work buddies that help you get through the process by mentoring as well as guiding you through the process.

Cons

Work-life balance is non-existent unless you are upper management.
    Environment is typical of a middle school culture with favorites being promoted without regard to talent.
    Environment is abusive and morale is low.
    Upper management is not in touch with the real world. Expectations are consistently raised despite changes in the economy, expectations are high that fundraising will continue to grow at a rate which is not in keeping with the low economic environment.
    Fundraising comes across as being more important than the mission of the organization. Less resources are being allocated for public education than fundraising tools.
    Revolving door of employees. Turnover is constant.

Advice to Management

Look around and find out why employees are leaving. Cost to the organization is great when you are having to constantly train new employees. Take note of the low morale as it affects the productivity of your employees. Follow your mission more closely and the money will follow.

2. "Loved the work, loved the flexibility, loved the cause."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Overall it was a very flexible and supportive environment. I was able to have a family, work full time, and adjust my in office schedule to meet my needs via work from home and flexible hours opportunities. Plus, at the end of the day I was completely passionate about the overall mission and goals of the company. I truly loved and enjoyed my job.

Cons

I worked very very long hours, had to travel frequently, and didn't feel the title or pay was commiserate with my job function and requirements.