American Heart Association - American Heart Association - Western Affiliate management needs a lesson in management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association

"American Heart Association - Western Affiliate management needs a lesson in management"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Burlingame, CA
Former Employee - Coordinator in Burlingame, CA

Pros

It's a non profit organization that's working to eliminate heart disease and stroke

Cons

People working there are dedicated and nice, management however is like a boys club. There's a very high turnover within the organization. People leave or let go with no explanations. Coordinators and fund raisers are given high goals while COO and CEO of affiliations make over $200K per year. While working for AHA Western State Affiliation what I didn't understand is if the association was running on money donated by ordinary people how come managers were making six figures and everyday workers were getting average salaries.

Advice to Management

My old boss, VP of IT was the worst possible manager I have ever had. He micromanaged me to death. I hated going to work everyday because I didn't want to face him. I seriously believe that my departure from AHA was the best thing that happened to me. I was under so much stress because of my boss, I can't put into words. Management needs to eliminate the boys club environment and hold managers accountable for the high turnover within the organization.

Other Employee Reviews for American Heart Association

"work as a team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

what they do for the community, the research that is conducted. National office seems to have it more together than the separate entities. National is good at trying to provide motivation, a cheerleader of sorts.

Cons

too much after hours work and slow to change with the times. Fundraisers are reluctant to share their contacts with each other which results in a very silo and company focused view rather than a customer view. No team atmosphere in many of the divisions.

Advice to Management

take some risks, listen to your staff and try new ways. Try and dispel the rivalry between fund raising teams and work as a team. Companies don't want several staff members contacting them with their own agendas-need to be more customer focused.

2. "Great place to work for with a great mission"

Former Employee - Government Affairs Director
    Former Employee - Government Affairs Director

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Know you're making a lasting impact on those affected by heart disease and stroke. Other pros are the ability to work with passionate volunteers and partners.

Cons

The mission is driven from a national level so work in the communities does not always meet community needs. Also, it is not always clear what the metrics are you are working towards.

Advice to Management

Allow more flexibility to meet community needs. Also, there is little career growth or opportunity from the field. When opportunities arise, it becomes very political in who moves up the ladder.