American Hospitality Academy - I did not receive the professional experience I had hope for but had an enjoyable time. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Hospitality Academy

"I did not receive the professional experience I had hope for but had an enjoyable time."

Former Employee - Intern in Myrtle Beach, SC
Former Employee - Intern in Myrtle Beach, SC

Pros

The pros to AHA is the cultural exchange opportunities. You are able to meet, work with, and live with people from all over the world. The work environment is very laid back and the resorts activities position is very easy to acquire and succeed in. It is a very fun, hands on, and active job.

Cons

The cons of AHA is that resorts interns are very unfulfilled when it comes to professional advancement. The increase in the knowledge of the industry is not to the level that many interns expect when finishing the program. The pay is also low for a 40 hour week but it is livable.

Advice to Management

I believe interns would be much more fulfilled if they are given more learning opportunities through more interaction with resort management.

Other Employee Reviews for American Hospitality Academy

1. "Not a professional internship."

Former Employee - Activities Intern in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Activities Intern in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at American Hospitality Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The program is international so you get to meet people from all over the world. Living in Myrtle Beach and working on the beach was fun, but could be exhausting.
    Increased my public speaking skills. I had to promote activities to crowds of 50+ people.

Cons

40 hour work weeks for $100/week... I worked alone at a resort and the job is very physical. Set up and tear down of your activities equipment can be rough. Worked around kids all day. I took the internship thinking I would get event planning experience, but that is not the case at all. The intern description was not parallel with the work.

Advice to Management

Give interns more responsibility. Make the internship more challenging.

2. "Great Internship Program"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at American Hospitality Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was a great experience for me. I was able to connect with students from all around the world. There were many other international interns at the property I was placed at. I really appreciated learning about others cultures while learning about the American way at the same time. My property was incredible and helped me learn every aspect of the Food and Beverage industry. I learned great skills in my internship and know I will be successful in my home country. I would recommend this to everyone.

Cons

I wish I could have stayed longer.