American Institutes for Research - Challenging, but rewarding | Glassdoor

"Challenging, but rewarding"

Current Employee - Researcher
Current Employee - Researcher

Pros

Great colleagues and benefit packages (reimbursement for commute to and from work, full salary during maternity leave).

Cons

A lot of work. Staffed to multiple (READ: More than 6) at any given time. Must be able to multi-task!

Other Employee Reviews for American Institutes for Research

"It was a good experience"

Pros

The company has a lot of nice people, which is makes it a relaxed environment to work in. The company is also located in a great location

Cons

Can get stuck on projects for a long time. There is little to no ability for job growth. The company is basically a glass ceiling.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a way for people to move up within the company, which there isn't. This isn't a place anyone can work for a long time.

"In the two years I worked there, I never met anyone who respected the top management."

Former Employee - Research Analyst
    Former Employee - Research Analyst

Pros

The research projects are engaging, valuable, and interesting.

Cons

I worked for a manager who demeaned and criticized her employees in front of the client. She was astonishingly abusive and unprofessional. Several of us complained to HR, but HR seemed to be under pressure to stand behind the manager because she brought in big projects. Her department became a revolving door for new employees who worked for as short a period as possible. We tried to stay for three years so as not to harm our work histories. However,most of us couldn't stick it out for more than a year. It was that bad! I personally knew five people who were traumatized by the whole experience and were upset even after they left because they knew they would never get a good letter of recommendation from the manager.

Advice to Management

Managers have to be good people as well as fine researchers and project managers. It's not wise to protect abusive managers, and it certainly is not fair or humane.