American Institutes for Research - Challenging work, great colleagues--but low pay" | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Institutes for Research

"Challenging work, great colleagues--but low pay""

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At AIR you get to work with talented, intelligent people with diverse expertise on a daily basis. You are constantly learning from others. Although it really varies depending on who your manager is, some managers are really great at providing opportunities for career development.

The work is intellectually stimulating and at times can be fun.

The benefits are decent and the flexible work day is a nice perk.

Cons

Salaries for research assistants and research associates are too low. Most research associates have Master's degrees and pay ranges from 45,000 to 55,000. \

Many divisions have too much work for the number of people working. Some employees have been able to implement a work-life balance, but overall people do not have work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Reduce perks like free bagel Wednesdays and free beverages and instead use the money save to recognize your most productive workers.

Other Employee Reviews for American Institutes for Research

"Miserable experience"

Former Intern - Curriculum Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Curriculum Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at American Institutes for Research as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I hear they have good benefits, but I just worked as an intern, so I didn't get them. Bagel Wednesdays were pretty cool.

Cons

BORING! Maybe it was just what I was doing, but even my bosses just did the same stuff. Over and over again. No training.

Advice to Management

Maybe actually work with your interns. All the interns were sitting in a room alone with nothing to do.

"Non-profit-level pay for hard work"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

Good benefits, multitude of topical areas and expertise, casual dress code, terrific HR team, great on-boarding experience, positive experience with direct manager, interactive wellness and activity programs. Overall positive experience but not a long-term career place for me personally.

Cons

Mediocre pay, little to no recognition for going above and beyond (in hours, workload, or effort). Little support for transitioning out of your level or to another program or position. Too much focus on PhD work and little valuation for experience earned. Often too specialized to allow for generalists in certain fields.

Advice to Management

Listen to your lower-level staff to get a pulse on staff morale. Tap into the solid talent which exists at every level of the company.