American Institutes for Research - Not good for entry-level staff | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Institutes for Research

"Not good for entry-level staff"

Current Employee - Research in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Research in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time

Pros

Some perks are nice - free coffee, bagels on Wednesdays. The company gives lip-service to work/life balance and the mission is a good one.

Cons

Don't make this your first job. You'll be stuck and stale a few years later. AIR works its junior staff very hard, but offers very few opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

After the employee engagement surveys of the past few years, some additional attention seems to have been paid to research assistants and associates. Make sure the senior technical staff and management internalize the importance of these staff.

Other Employee Reviews for American Institutes for Research

"Statistician"

Current Employee - Statistician in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Statistician in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time

Pros

nice group and great working environment

Cons

located in Georgetown, the commute may be a problem

"Overall a good first job for someone who has a bachelors degree in social science (sociology in my case)."

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you studied a social science in undergrad and are interest in conducting research, AIR is a good starting place to actually put the research skills that you learned in undergrad to use. Working as a Research Assistant at AIR was my first job out of undergrad and while I did do many entry level tasks (note taking, filing, printing, etc.) the senior staff that I worked with definitely trained me and gave me opportunities to really use my research skills. During my time at AIR I got to help with cognitive interviews, proposal management, budgets, focus groups, statistical analysis, literature reviews, and planning technical expert panels.

Cons

1. The salary for lower level staff: AIR hired me in at $35,000 and was not willing to negotiate. There is only so much money that one can get for this type of work as an RA but there are definitely companies that will pay in the forty thousands.
    2. The out of the way office locations: AIR should consider putting their Washington DC and Silver Spring office locations on the metro. Many of their competitors do this.
    3. Corporate is not invested in junior level staff: Corporate is told again and again when junior staff leave that we are not paid appropriately for the Washington D.C. area. I know their attitude is to be less invested in RA's since we leave after a few years but our salaries are not appropriate. While I felt like the senior staff in my department were invested in me and were sad to see me leave I felt that corporate saw me as completely replaceable. During my time at AIR, corporate cut our holiday party and continuously hired in new institute fellows and VPs but the RAs saw very little change in our salaries.

Advice to Management

Pay your Research Assistants salaries in the forty thousands. I would have stayed longer.