American Marketing and Publishing - Stable and Demanding Position - A perfect example of working for yourself and reaping the benefits of your efforts. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Marketing and Publishing

"Stable and Demanding Position - A perfect example of working for yourself and reaping the benefits of your efforts."

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Hoffman Estates, IL
Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Base Salary (25k) In addition, 20% Commission rate for sales beyond 10k/month

-Health, Dental, Vision, life insurance; 401k, Gas Allowance (per month), 12.50/month for phone data charges, Allotted time off in Addition to National/Company Holidays

-Autonomy

-Working with Local Business Owners to improve their business through local advertising

Cons

-Work out of your car, in turn no allowances for vehicle wear and tear

-Tuesday and Thursday Evening 'Golden Hours' until 7:30 where you visit people's home based businesses

-Incredibly long hours: Roughly 1-2 Hours nightly preparing your schedule for the next day, prepping ad copy (which you roughly outline), as well as your game plan per customer

-GPS Tracking on your phone; Statistics are kept company side that are relayed to your District Manager (they were never brought up to me, but it was mentioned)-->you are monitored throughout the day by internal staff

-Hard Closes

-Collecting Past Due Charges on previous years balance's (you are awarded a commission fee for collecting it personally)

-5 Days of training which should be spaced out over 2 weeks (i ended up working 16 hours/day to keep pace, slept less than 5 hours, and memorized constantly)

-High Turnover; In my 4 Months 5 people remained from when I had started and over 25 had been hired and left within that span.

Advice to Management

Improve the level of training and support offered, office space and the ability to frequently discuss matters with sales teammates will foment greater production within individual areas.

Other Employee Reviews for American Marketing and Publishing

"a good company to gain b2b sales experience"

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have never done sales before, this company will teach you techniques of how to approach and successfully close deals. Work-life balance is ok. You get the weekends off but if you want to make some extra money you can work saturdays as well

Cons

I disagree with some of the deductions that are applied to the paychecks if you dont sell text marketing. it's a $350 deduction, and if your POS (point of sale) $ amount is less than 15% then you get an additional $150 off (it hasnt happened to me yet but I;ve heard it has happened to some of my team members.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the text marketing deduction, or at least lower it to $200 or find other ways to eliminate the deduction by selling more accounts

"Ridiculous Business Practices"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Lowell, IN
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Lowell, IN

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are cheerful? Senior Managment was helpful and did give me a good review when I chose to leave.

Cons

Let me start by saying that I am a salesman....er woman. I've handled accounts across the country. This job is not sales. It is finding the right words to con people out of their money. Scripts are provided.

The first town I was put in, I was the 4th person visiting the territory. They state that you will be put into a town just starting the renewal process.

The hours were honestly insane and for Golden hours, the only people you could visit were home businesses. Most of them were eating dinner at that point or just getting home and did not want to speak to someone trying to take money from them.

The product is of a dying breed. I mean, the phone book is good for a quick look up, but people are going to use the internet for reviews.The text marketing program is a great program but only for certain business and they have to be taught to take full advantage of it.

You are definitely not reimbursed enough for gas and to the person who said that the travel time is like any other, that is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. Trying to plot out geographically takes a good amount of time unless you have a gps that has the ability to do that. Don't forget all the time you have to spend searching for the home based businesses and it's nearly impossible to find an accurate, up-to-date list.

They say that you won't be in a territory for more than 6 to 8 weeks, but you can be there for 12 or more.

MOST BUSINESS OWNERS IN SMALL TOWNS DO NOT LIKE THIS COMPANY!!!!! They will yell at you, slam the door in your face, tell you their horror story, show you the actual mistakes and problems this company has caused if they just see that little book in your hand. Also, the billing structure is confusing as can be for the small business owners if they are buying into multiple books. It seems as if they are being double billed, even though they aren't, and this causes them to be late on their payment because even when they call to question the bill, nobody answers and they receive no call back from the company.

But the absolute worst thing about this company is the pay structure. You do not actually have a $25,000 base salary as that is supposed to be protected, yet they deduct money from you if you do not sell a text package ($350) or collect 15% pos ($150). Keep in mind that any past due money you collect does not count towards your pos. You only start receiving commissions after you sell $10,000 worth of advertising and the smallest ad, which is the most bought ad, is only worth between $175 & $350 depending on your territory. In all honesty, after gas expenses, one month I was only going to bring home $700 for the entire month. I couldn't even afford to put enough gas in my car to get to my territory and I had cut all extra expenses I could!

I pretty much believe that the only people that are able to succeed in this company these days are those with no soul that are willing to take hard earned money from small business owners or the wives/husbands or prominent business owners. Or they have just become blind to what this company has become.

Advice to Management

First off, just be honest about what this job really is. You are messing with people's lives and in this economy, it's not all that easy to recover.

Secondly, make this company about the small business owners again. Make a payment plan for the text marketing available even without the purchase of an ad.