American Medical Response - Good place to start, and that's it. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Medical Response

"Good place to start, and that's it."

Former Employee - Paramedic in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Paramedic in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired. Most nights and weekends off. Limitless overtime available due to high turnover. Medium paced shifts most of the time.

Cons

Low pay, high turnover, several "bosses". Uniforms are terrible. Protocols and medications are outdated.

Advice to Management

Be sure that your middle management is qualified for the position they're in. Being the friend of someone else who is promoted is not a qualification.

Other Employee Reviews for American Medical Response

1. "Pay? What Pay?"

Former Employee - Paramedic
    Former Employee - Paramedic

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired. Smile and know what corporate wants - high energy, brainless drones...
    High turn over rate, due to Cons, makes hiring process perpetual.

Cons

TERRIBLE compensation.
    Required to be "on call" (at some locations) without ANY compensation due to federal laws protecting the employer.
     "Find your own coverage" even when you submit documentation at their "should be submitted" 30 day prior request.
    Harassment via TEXT messages with fanciful stories of being told not to "make us out to be the bad guy" or asking for shift coverage via TEXT.
    (In some areas), level 0 with mutual aid happens often due to the company stating they don't "have the funds" to staff another full time crew, or part time for "peak hours"
    Upper level management (above area managers) refuse to return employee calls when they need to go above in the chain of command due to mistreatment and abuse of employees.

Advice to Management

There's no advice you can give this "for profit" company they will listen to. They are money driven, with no concern for patients, as they call their patients "customers" EMS is not customer service, it's "customer" care, while service is part of that, the only thing management cares about is quick call turn over to not miss a "potential" Medicare/Medicaid/Insured patient.

2. "Not employee friendly"

Current Employee - EMT in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - EMT in Monterey, CA

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only pro is that this is a nationwide company and we do not have to worry that we will not be paid, unlike the last company that was in our county.

Cons

This AMR is not employee friendly at all. The company sees us as replaceable at any time. They do not like older employees who have been in this county for a long period of time. The supervisors would rather write you up then help you with an issue. There are not enough units on the streets to cover the vast response area that we have. Management and Supervisors do not communicate well or listen to the employee's advice about what is really going on, on the streets. AMR lets everyone else be our boss as well. From fire to the cops and hospital staff, even if they are wrong and we are right, they side with these people.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employee's on a regular basis, be honest in this communication. Respect goes both ways. Listen to the advice of your field employee's, they are the one's that are out there doing it everyday and actually have some good ideas. In general just be more employee friendly.