American Red Cross - HR Technology | Glassdoor

"HR Technology"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is no micro management. Onsite cafeteria. Quiet work environment. Those who are self-disciplined can definitely improve their skills. Nice location in DC with shuttles to the nearest metro stations. Really the only part about ARC that impressed me was their commitment to diversity, with regular meetings for employees who wanted to attend.

Cons

Somewhere in the organization there is trouble transitioning to technology. They use the same checks and balances they probably had in place before email, internet, etc. It's quiet and very very lonely. The only people I regularly spoke to were two people sitting near me, and the people I met smoking outside. On my first day I was given a brief tour, a desk, a computer and a phone. I had computer trouble the entire time I worked for them. My computer was so slow that adding a row in Excel could take up to twenty minutes. From what I saw, my only guess is that managers have just been promoted based on their time with the organization and not based on their skills.

Advice to Management

Get an efficiency expert and listen to what they have to say. Employees only know their one small part and no one takes responsibility or is held accountable for their work.

Other Employee Reviews for American Red Cross

"Laboratory Technician"

Current Employee - Clinical Lab Scientist in Pomona, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Lab Scientist in Pomona, CA

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent Pay, lots of MANDATORY overtime(don't even know if that is a "plus" )
    . Paid time off. That's IT !!! No Life !!

Cons

Consent Decree for almost 20 Years, are You kidding the American Public ??
    ANY Private company would be shut the heck down by now !!

Advice to Management

Get in the Lab and see what's really going on. Morale is at an all time low, and tech's are sick and tired of getting written up or talked to by problem management. Makes us want to work slower and more carefull so we don't make mistakes. Lot of Units out of refrigeration for up to 2 HOURS !!!!! How can this even happen !?!?!? Sup's even know this, and see it, and don't give a darn because they feel like the rest of us that we are overwhelmed with 1500 units (at least) everynite on swingshift. Then Grave comes in and retaliates on the other shifts cause they don't like being bombarded with the workload..Lots of restructuring needed here. I can name management but i'm sorry I need my job to provide for my family...

2. "I wish we got paid a little more"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

I am proud to work for an organization that helps people

Cons

high stress job (emergency call center SAF) for low pay

Advice to Management

Increase our wages a little, make more opportunities for growth