American Red Cross - Great experience, not great benefits | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

"Great experience, not great benefits"

Former Employee - Sample Management Lab Assistant in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Sample Management Lab Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-I worked in Blood Services, and the NTL has a very close-knit culture. Most of the employees had moved up from entry-level positions and were there from 7-15 years. My department had a very easy-going boss who encouraged us to get to know each other, and make the most out of an other-wise tedious/boring position (lab assistant).
-The PTO is outstanding
-Internal committees/organizations help you feel more engaged
- job security

Cons

-Too many audits. In my first two months, we had 4 internal/external routine audits.
-They are always making budget cuts, whether it is with coffee, staffing, or raises, everyone is always afraid to be cut
-Politics plays a huge part in who gets a promotion or not.

Advice to Management

Give the people on the bottom a little more money if you want to reduce turn-over. Or give them an incentive to stay.

Other Employee Reviews for American Red Cross

"Started off great, but it reached the point where I didn't agree with upper management and their business decisions."

Former Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission is truly great. You join this place because you want to help make the world a better place and improve the quality of life for people struck by disaster.

Cons

Blood side: The decrease in revenue caused senior management to pressure the employees to the point of verbal abuse. They should look at laying off the management set in their ways rather than professional staff willing to make changes for the better (disclaimer: I was not laid off and lay offs were not in progress when I resigned.) Formal complaints to HR not acknowledged or resolved.

Advice to Management

Deliver on your promises. If you cannot, then don't make promises especially when it comes to your employees' paychecks. It's that simple. Don't give excuses by blaming it on the process. Provide opportunities for employer growth instead of finding ways to hinder their performance and looking out for your own back. Stop penalizing the top performers and do something about those who fall behind. Perhaps it isn't their fault. Ever think to look at yourself for the reason of high turnover??

2. "Overall the mostly a good place to work."

Former Employee - Contracts Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Contracts Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They let some people work from home. They try to help with training.

Cons

Lots of reorganizations and downsizing.